Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #1

Share |

Rural northwest Florida water - need a softener?

We live in northwest Florida (not the panhandle) - our water compared to most Florida is actually very good - no sulfur smell etc - taste is best 'straight from the ground' water I've ever had in Florida but we have one issue - rust - we don't really have any filtration systems or anything like that coming from the well into the house (that I'm aware of) so periodically I have to clean out the washing machine as it gets clogged with these little rust 'flakes' - we're somewhat new to this home and so far as I know there is only one line leading in having said that I have not noticed any of these flakes in the drinking water (now that I say that they're probably being captured by the faucet).... is there some way I can filter this water WITHOUT sacrificing the water quality - I hate to run it through a softener or something when the water is good - however I'm very concerned about what is happening to the pipes and what preventative I should do to prevent potential damage to appliances etc.

migofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #2

Time is drawing near when you'll need to replace the rusted pipe(s). In the meantime you can install a filter but the location will be critical in order to contain the rust particles. If the rusty pipe is between the well and house the filter will need to be at or near the house.

If the rusty pipe is within the house you have a bigger problem. As for your laundry unit keep the finest screen in the inlet hoses you can find. The hot water may not be a problem being the rust will probably be in the bottom of the water heater if the rusted pipe is before the heater.

Last edited by Fairview; 03-26-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fairview For This Useful Post:
Javiles (03-26-2014), migofast (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #3

install a sediment and rust filter before holding tank..and install taste and odor filter after holding tank....use valves on both sides of filters for srevice..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Javiles (03-26-2014), migofast (03-26-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 07:14 AM   #4

Just a guess, old steel pipes in the slab?
At some point all steel pipes will close up on the inside and start leaking because they rust out and need to be replaced.
Most people replace it with Pex tubing running through the walls.
In your area you may get away with running it through the attic.

Tags
florida, rust, softener, water