Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #1

Share |

Running Water Sound

Hi everyone! This is my first post here. I am a female with an old house that has a lot of issues, especially plubming. I am trying to do some simple things on my own. My dad was a plumber, so I do know a few things about it.

One thing I cannot figure out is that I have a cold water shutoff valve in the basement that I currently have turned off. It services my basement bathroom, which I hardly use. I had some issues with the sink in there leaking, so I just shut off the water supply.

Now even though it is shut off, there seems to be water running through it. I can hear it in the pipes. I am able to turn the valve on and off, but once I turn it off completely, I can still hear it running. Anyone know what this means?

Thanks in advance!
bpinkbinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #2

Running Water Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpinkbinkie View Post
Hi everyone! This is my first post here. I am a female with an old house that has a lot of issues, especially plubming. I am trying to do some simple things on my own. My dad was a plumber, so I do know a few things about it.

One thing I cannot figure out is that I have a cold water shutoff valve in the basement that I currently have turned off. It services my basement bathroom, which I hardly use. I had some issues with the sink in there leaking, so I just shut off the water supply.

Now even though it is shut off, there seems to be water running through it. I can hear it in the pipes. I am able to turn the valve on and off, but once I turn it off completely, I can still hear it running. Anyone know what this means?

Thanks in advance!
your washer might have fell apart allowing water to come thru could also be debris in the line or just a plain old worn out valve that needs to be replaced. If its a gate valve its possible the stem has broke off these are just a few things it could be.
al's sewer is offline   Reply With Quote