DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Running water to my barn

13K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  oldspice 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I'm planning on tapping into my home water line that is supplied by a drilled well so I can run water to my barn. The barn is 350' from the house. I live in the North East so I'm digging at trench at least 4' down to bury the line. I've got a backhoe so that part of the job is pretty straightforward. I'll be installing a frost free hydrant at the barn and putting in a gravel dry well for that to drain into.

My question has to do with punching through my fieldstone foundation to get the line into my basement. I'll rent a power tool to make the hole. It will probably be a rotary drill of some sort. But once I've got the hole and put the line through it, what do I do to seal the pipe? Does it need to be sleeved? Insulated? Protected? The line is 1 1/4" ABS. Can I simply use hydrolic cement?

#2 ·
I would sleeve it. A piece of 1-1/2" or 2" should slide over it .Use the hydraulic cement around the sleeve. You want something with some flex between the pipe and the sleeve. Your foundation does move a bit with temperature changes and if you had cement against the plastic pipe, it could cause a leak.

#3 ·
worked like a charm

Over the weekend I was able to start the trenching and excavated the foundation. I used a rotary hammer type drill that had both a feature that allowed either both hammer and drill or just hammer. I used the hammer more than the drill part and made a 2" hole. The foundation was about 16" wide at the point I started drilling which was about 5' down from ground level on the outside.

I took majakdragon's recommendation and put a 1.5" pvc pipe and cemented that into the hole with the cement. I'll then slide the water line through that. I suppose I should caulk that with some silicone or something to seal that but allow it to move like you say it should.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.