Running Water Line Into Crawl Space - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
just a dude

Rewards Points: 10

Running water line into crawl space

Hi everybody,

I've been working on getting a water line from the stable to the house. The contractor that built the stable put the hydrant inside and started the line for me. I'm taking it from there.

A local mason told me to run it 36" deep, so I've been doing that. Along the way, I passed the drain line for the septic tank which was 24" deep. About 15 feet later, when I get to the house, I run into the footer at 24" deep.

Surely I don't have to go through that, do I?!!! I was just expecting to go through the block. I live near Cincinnati, Ohio, and I'm not sure who to call about double-checking the frost line.

Would it make sense that a water line needs to be that deep but a footer doesn't? I attached a pic of what I ran into. You can see the footer drain pipe running alongside the concrete I hit.

Thanks,
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Running water line into crawl space-img_0744-copy.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by rocklobster; 09-05-2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: clarification of which drain pipe appeared in pic
rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

I don't know where you are but in Franklin Ohio, apparently the frost line is 32".

http://www.franklinohio.org/pages/building_faq.asp

Your local building department should be able to tell you the accepted frost line for your area.

Unless you have dug down deep enough to see the bottom of the footer, you don't know how deep it actually is. From what I can see in the pic, it does not appear you have found the bottom of the footer.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobster View Post
Hi everybody,

I've been working on getting a water line from the stable to the house. The contractor that built the stable put the hydrant inside and started the line for me. I'm taking it from there.

A local mason told me to run it 36" deep, so I've been doing that. Along the way, I passed the drain line for the septic tank which was 24" deep. About 15 feet later, when I get to the house, I run into the slab at 24" deep.

Surely I don't have to go through that, do I?!!! I was just expecting to go through the block. I live near Cincinnati, Ohio, and I'm not sure who to call about double-checking the frost line.

Would it make sense that a water line needs to be that deep but a footer doesn't? I attached a pic of what I ran into. You can see the footer drain pipe running alongside the concrete I hit.

Thanks,
Rob
How deep is Frost line in cincinnati? The frost line in Cincinnati is 30 inches (76.2 cm) according to the Cincinnati Building Code
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
just a dude

For some reason, I was assuming that I would go through the block to put this pipe in. It's becoming apparent, however, that I may need to dig under the footer.

This is not going to be fun.

Thanks for the info, guys. Any other tips or advice is certainly welcome.

Rob
Old 09-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,048

Have the pipe come closer to the surface in order to avoid the concrete slab. Install a wrap around electric heating cable on theportion of the pipe outside and above the frost line to keep it from freezing.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

If I remember my code correctly (been awhile since i've done underground work) water needs to be a minimum of 12" below the frost line all the way to the foundation, with exception of any meter vault that you may have. You would be able to break a small hole near the foundation wall and tunnel underneath from outside to save concrete work. Don't heat tape any pipes underground, it'll fail within at least a year or two, plus it normally voids manufacturer warranties on the stuff
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
just a dude

I ended up going under the footer to keep the pipe at 36" deep all the way. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Rob

Advertisement