Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2006, 11:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

running washer drain

I'm helping a friend add a utilty room onto his house. He's moving his washer and dyer into it with a sink in between the two. He's planing on just running his drain out the back and into a ditch, has plenty of grade for the water to drain. I was'nt sure if this was the best way for him to do it. Just need a little feedback for you guys. Thanks

sedwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

running washer drain

I have seen this done before. Some people even use the waster water for their gardens. Many States allow this as it is called "gray water". (no human waste) Not sure if this is the "best" way to run it though. A lot depends on if you live where it freezes in the winter or if summer weather will cause it to smell.

majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

running washer drain

That seems like a terrible idea, both from an esthetic and environmental point of view. With a sink next to the washer, why not run the water directly into the sink, or tie into the drain below the sink?
billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:26 PM   #4

running washer drain

I may have misunderstood your post. I was thinking that you are adding the "whole" room and that no sink is currently there to tie the drain from the washer into. Even if the sink was already there, the newer washers require larger drains (2") than the older models (1-1/2") since the pumps are more powerful and the wastewater is expelled faster. Your friend still has to contend with the smell and washers have lots of lint in the wastewater.
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

running washer drain

yeah it is a new room, nothing but a slab of concrete. The new room sits about a foot lower than the house, the power and water lines can be moved thru the ajoining wall, easy enough. But the drain will need to be moved also, we don't want to go from the washer around the corner about a foot and then thru the ajoining wall and down thru the floor. the drain will need to be low enough for the sink to drain. We could run the drain down to the slab and then under the house, but would have to cut a hole thru the floor joist, did'nt think that would be a good idea either. He would prefer to run it into the septic, but not sure how. Thanks.
sedwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:15 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

running washer drain

I have a similar situation existing. I have a pump that in under the washer drain sink that pumps up to the attic and then across the house into the drain line. Have a question about venting this line. after the pump the water enters the line where there is a check valve, goes up to attic and then runs across house. I replaced the pump not long ago and when I do a lot of laundry, I seem to be creating a vacuum in the waste line causing the toilet to gurgle. If I install an Air Admittance Valve on the line from the laundy room, should that be installed in the attic above the laundry room to allow air into the waste line. The installation examples that I have seen show the valve after the trap. The waste line runs approximately 25' before it ties into the waste line in the bathroom(this is where the vent stack is). Thanks for any help. Beth P.S. I live in NJ, are the Air Admittance Valves code here.
Thanard T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:38 PM   #7
Journeyman Plumber

running washer drain

The toilet line should be 4" or 3" min, the line for washer should be 2" this should not make the toilet gurgle, if the toilet gurgles, this can be a sign of a blockage in the main after the pump line ties to it.
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:36 AM   #8
I blame ProWallGuy

Rewards Points: 150

running washer drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber View Post
The toilet line should be 4" or 3" min, the line for washer should be 2" this should not make the toilet gurgle, if the toilet gurgles, this can be a sign of a blockage in the main after the pump line ties to it.
It can if that sump is not individually vented all the way through the roof. If its tied in to the other vents, especially on a small line away from a VTR, it can cause more than 1 psi difference in the system. With the water coming out under pressure from a pump it can fill the line to over its 60% design capacity. And with the vent sucking air out of the vent system, if its close enough to that WC, it could well push air up into a WC or pull the water seal out of the trap. Not likely, but possible. I think Ron's idea is more likely however.

Get a plumber out to look. You either have a bad sump installation or you have a blocked drain. Either way, you just might need to have a pro put an eyeball on that for you and make some recommendations.

Gurgley WC can mean sewer gas in the house and that's not healthy. Not to mention smelly.
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

running washer drain

You should not run it to a ditch or land apply. Most places it is illegal and for good reason. It causes adverse enviormental impacts. all else if you dont want to get a permit and do it right dig some drywells or french drains

septicpro is offline   Reply With Quote