Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #1

Share |

Running Polyethylene tube through foundation wall

I have a 30+ year old 3/4" copper water main that gave out last week and now have water running out from under my driveway.

The original pipe runs under my driveway and garage floor to the main water shutoff. Rather than dig up, or bore under my driveway, I think I would rather trench a new line in the side of the house and then along the garage ceiling into the existing copper plumbing.

The plan is to use 1" Polyethylene 160psi tubing from the meter to the side of the house and through the foundation into a basement wall space (~50'). Here I will install a regulator with shutoffs and unions with an access panel. I will transition to 3/4" copper just before the regulator and then run this along the roof of the garage to tie into the existing 3/4" copper (~30').

I live in Washington state. I will dig the trench to 18" minimum from the top of the poly pipe to the ground level, and keep the poly in a few inches of sand before burying with the hardpack dirt/rock.

How should I seal the fitting in the foundation wall? Do I need to sleeve this? What clearence between the pipe and concrete is needed to allow for a proper sealent to be used?

Any other considerations I should be aware of?

Thanks for your time.

Kabuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete, foundation, polyethylene, seal, water