Running Pex Under A Driveway - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Running Pex under a driveway

I am planning on replacing the old galvanized water lines in my house with pex. In order to replace the line all way to the meter i will have to cross my driveway (about 20' or so). I was just planning on having to cut my driveway in order to do this until the other day when an old plumber told me that when he had encountered similar situations in the past (using soft copper not pex) they would attach the copper to one end of the old pipe that was to be replaced and attach an excavator (or a come-along if an excavator was unavailable) to the other end of the old pipe and just pull the old pipe out while threading the new line in behind it.

My questions are, has anyone else done or heard of doing this successfully and if they have would it work with pex with the same effectiveness as soft copper?

Thanks,

Advertisement

jseymour186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I have not pulled plumbing, but I have pulled UF wire this way with and ATV winch! I have watched the gas co pull new plastic line using the old copper and a winch.

Advertisement

Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,212

Why use pex for that line? The black plastic stuff is much cheaper.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,620

I haven't pulled PEX but have pulled soft copper and poly. If the existing line has any branches it won't work- gotta cut them off first because the branch won't pull. We fish a 1/4" cable down the existing pipe, attach it to the new pipe. a special head is used(we made ours). The cable end of the head rest against the end of the old pipe as you pull while the new pipe is threaded on the other end of the head. As the old pipe comes out the new pipe takes its place. We pulled with our mini excavator. my last pull was 60'. Took more time to set up then pull
Old 03-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 12

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of what that head piece looked like would you?
jseymour186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,620

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseymour186 View Post
You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of what that head piece looked like would you?
No I don't sorry. It was basically a thread protector that comes on an end of the steel pipe. We welded a collar on one end that would rest against the end of the existing pipe. we then would thread the new pipe onto the other end of the thread protector- used a copper x male adapter. The cable was also attached to the end with the make shift collar and threaded up the pipe. I'm sure this description doesn't make sense Google "pulling a water line" You'll see some products available, then get creative. How's the saying go? Necessity is the mother of invention?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 718

We use our jetter to bore a new hole under the drive way or slab with a sleeve 1 1/2 pvc pipe then feed the copper or whatever... distance to date successfully 30 feet.

Advertisement

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote