Running My Wellpump During A Power Outage - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

running my wellpump during a power outage

I want to conect a 12volt DC inverter to my 220voltAC well pump and use the car battery/alternator as the power supply. What kind of inverter will I need?

Advertisement

jfd257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfd257 View Post
I want to conect a 12volt DC inverter to my 220voltAC well pump and use the car battery/alternator as the power supply. What kind of inverter will I need?
Not sure if there is one that will step it up to that voltage.. I know that there are ones to 120, but have not hear off hand of 220.........

Advertisement

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Let's do the math: W=AV. Watts =Amperage x Volts. You tell us that you have a 220 volt pump, what is the rated amperage so we can figure the watts? Let's just use 20 here, and I'm betting that is low. W=AV, W=20 x 220=4400, so you would need a 4400 watt converter. But then again there is the "starting amperage" on a well pump motor which may go as high as 5-8 more amps for just a short burst. Mose converters I am familiar with will not take these "start-up" spikes, it will kick them out. Something to do with sine waves being square waves or rolling waves. Obvious I need to go back to school on this. Anyway: I doubt you will find a converter which would do this, and I doubt your truck battery would run it for very long.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

OR....
Before I finally got County water out here, my home was on a well pump for years. Power out, no water too of course, until we got the public water.
I eventually got a 5500w gasoline-powered generator and a connection hub installed by the power company (at my expense) at the main electrical meter base. A connection hub works better than a transfer switch in my opinion (for about the same or less cost), because you can use your own existing 200 amp panel and run all of your 110v breakers on it at once (all 220v breakers off), or just a 220v breaker, such as the water heater.
To run the pump (or the water heater enough to heat up a full tank), you just turn off all of the 110v breakers, and turn the 220 breaker on to the pump or the water heater.
I don't believe a vehicle battery is going to run a 220v pump or anything else very long.
You may be able to convert the 220v pump over to run on 110v, and this kind of set up should work much better all around for you.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote