Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Running Faucet

First off, let me preface this by saying I'm a female, so if anyone answers me, I need very easy-to-understand plumbing language, since I am not skilled in the ways of the plumb.

Anyhoo, my kitchen faucet is one of those single handle, swivel things. My boyfriend shut the water off, and when he did I guess he kind of "slammed it" off, like he hit the faucet too hard when he pushed down on it to turn it off. Ever since then, the hot water runs constant when it's in the off mode. But only the hot. I can leave the cold water pipe on, and it works fine via the faucet, which to ME, makes absolutely no sense. We've taken the thing apart, taken all the washers, the swivel ball thing, etc. out, I cleaned everything and scratched off all the built up rusty stuff, and put everything back tightly, but it didn't help. And none of the washers or anything is stripped or worn.

I guess it isn't something that can be "fixed", but something that needs to be replaced. Does anyone know what it is I need to buy and replace?

Thanks!
qupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #2

Running Faucet

If your faucet is running... maybe you'd better go catch it!

Seriously though, it may be cheaper to replace the entire faucet rather than trying to replace a single piece. I recently replaced my kitchen faucet due to a similar problem, and now not only is the faucet fixed, it's much prettier than the old one! It's a very easy job, and it only cost me about $40.
wfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #3

Running Faucet

I think I will do that, actually.

Do I have to get one that has the single swivel handle thing, or can I get one with with two separate handles? I don't know how that works, with the water pipes and all.
qupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
Long-Time DIYer

Running Faucet

You can choose either one.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #5

Running Faucet

If you're switching, there's one thing you'll want to watch out for, and I'm saying this because it happened to me. As per your request, I'll try and explain this in "easy-to-understand plumbing language"

My old sink had one handle for turning the water on and off. My new sink has separate handles, for hot and cold. Now underneath the sink, where the faucet connects to the hoses that are connected to the hot and cold pipes, my old faucet had 2 brass tubes that hung down several inches from the middle, where the handle was. With a 2-handled faucet, the connections for those hoses are much closer to the faucet itself, and spread apart - underneath each handle.

Long story short, the hoses were about 6-8 inches too short... they wouldn't reach my new faucet at all! I had to go back to the store to find the right size of the right hose, which they almost didn't have.

My suggestion to you: If you're going from a 1-handled faucet to 2, you might want to take everything apart before you go to the store, and take the hose with you... get one that's about 6 inches longer, but make sure you get the same size fittings on the ends.
wfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #6

Running Faucet

Replace the boyfriend,,,slamming isnt allowed!!
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #7

Running Faucet

It shouldn't cost hardly anything to get replacement parts because just about any faucet comes with a lifetime warranty. The only cost you normally will have is shipping for the new part. It sounds to me that you need a new "cartridge" (that's what it's called in my Moen faucet). It's a cylinder with some ports and rubber seals in it that direct the right amount and temperature of water based on where you put the handle.