Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Roughed in Plumbing Under Main Air Duct

Hello - Finishing a basement in my 8 year old house. Builder roughed in plumbing for basement - however I recently realized that where the plumbing was roughed in is directly under the main air duct from the furnace (see pics)...meaning the bathroom ceiling would be 80" max, which I think is too short to be code? Wondering what my options are - is it difficult to move the plumbing that has already being roughed in? Can I just move the pipe for the toilet to relocate it out from under the duct? move the air duct? Any advice greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Roughed in Plumbing Under Main Air Duct-roughed_in_plumbing.jpg  

DIY33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 30

Opening the floor and adding drains is simple enough as long as the work is close to the ejector pit---

Rent an electric jack hammer---

Old 11-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY33 View Post
the plumbing was roughed in is directly under the main air duct from the furnace (see pics)...
I saw the pic and it appears the drain line is next to not under the duct work. Or am I missing something??
Attached Thumbnails
Roughed in Plumbing Under Main Air Duct-roughed_in_plumbing.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #4

if i am not mistaken code is 6'8 from finished floor to finished ceiling for most of the room.
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses - the roughed in plumbing is not directly under the duct, but where it is located would make the majority of the ceiling height in the bathroom be approx. 80". I could be wrong, but I thought the code was that a ceiling height of 84" must be maintained, but could be reduced to 78" for spans not longer than 4' - again, I could be off on this.

Regarding moving the plumbing, I've heard mixed opinions regarding how hard it is to break and the slab and move it. My revised plan would keep the vanity sink drain line where it is (i think that is what it is called - the two smaller pipes extending from floor...), move the toilet drain to the opposite side of the vent pipes (out from under the duct, approx. 36" in the direction away from the duct), and move the tub box about six feet in the direction away from the duct. Is this a couple days, a week, month? Just want to get an idea.

One other quick question (might be a dumb one...). The vent lines are to be located in the wall - so how do I frame a wall where the pipes are already existing? Do the pipes get cut out for the wall to go in place and then replaced?

Thanks again for the advice!

One other quick question (might be a dumb one...). The drain line for the vanity sink is to be located in the wall - so how do I frame a wall where the pipes are already existing? Do the pipes get cut out for the wall to go in place and then replaced?

Thanks again!
DIY33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #6

For code questions, it is best to call the building inspectors who will be inspecting and passing the permits (you got, right?) you pull with your local building department.

As you surmise, they may pass if the height is under the code limit for the small area to get under the HVAC. Give a call and find out.

B

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote