Roughed In Plumbing - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roughed in plumbing

Hello,

I purchased a new home about 2 years ago, when they built the house they were supposed to rough in the basement bathroom. Turns out they didn't so they had to come back, drill the floor and rough it in. The toilet and sink drain seem to be very close together to me, would you be able to take a look at the picture below and let me know what you think? I plan on putting the sink on a wall to the right of the toilet, would it be fine for me to run about 4 feet of PVC on a slop from the sink to that roughed in drain?

Also, I would assume the sink drain would already be vented right? Would I be able to connect the shower vent to the sink vent as well or do I need to run a totally different vent?

Thanks again, this site has been a great resource!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Advertisement

tucker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,300

Roughed in plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker16 View Post
The toilet and sink drain seem to be very close together to me...
They're fine. Well, so long as you install the sink to the LEFT of the toilet.

...would it be fine for me to run about 4 feet of PVC on a slope....?
Yes.

Also, I would assume the sink drain would already be vented right?
No. That pipe *may* be connected to a vent but I'd assume not.
Plan to extend that pipe up through the house somehow or other to the roof.

Would I be able to connect the shower vent to the sink vent as well or do I need to run a totally different vent?
What shower?
If you want a shower down there too then call them back to cut the floor for those fittings.

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 664

Roughed in plumbing

May be just the angle of the picture but the distance from the toilet drain does not look like 12 1/2" from the wall to the center of the drain.
It also looks like the space from the wall to the toilet drain is way to small to allow a sink to go in there.
http://www.us.kohler.com/designkb/de...ceplanning.jsp

Last edited by joecaption; 02-28-2012 at 03:19 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #4

Roughed in plumbing

Hello,

The center of the toilet drain to the wall is 12", when they roughed in the plumbing I was a bit thrown off by where they placed it but a different builder also did the same thing in my sisters new place which makes me think this might be common place in Ontario.

We are thinking about putting a shower in the basement, basically what I am wondering is if I tie the shower drain into the sink drain pipe under the floor do I also need to vent the shower separately or is it fine as it is since it will be connected to the same vent as the sink already is? I have attached an image of what I am looking to do, my graphic skills aside (which are none lol)

Thanks again!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 02-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,614

Roughed in plumbing

you can put the lav there and drain it into the toilet vent but you will probably need to revent it's trap arm due to your proposed length
The shower will need to be vented as well and then all vents should vent through the roof unless you can use autovents.
Did the plumber leave a capped vent in the ceiling joist space?

BTW the lav line probably wye's off the toilet line a feww feet from the toilet stub- not the way you drew it

Last edited by TheEplumber; 02-28-2012 at 05:53 PM.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #6

Roughed in plumbing

Yes they have a capped off pipe in the corner running up to the roof for venting purposes, so I will run a vent off of the shower as well and then vent the sink there. Thanks again, you guys are awesome and have been a huge help!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Roughed in plumbing

Quote:
The center of the toilet drain to the wall is 12"
Is that the current measurement or is there an allowance for drywall and other wall finishes, ie - tile?
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,588

Roughed in plumbing

if it 12"from rough wall finish wall would be 11 1/2 tight for a 12" rough commode address now or you will have to get a 10" rough commode .
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Roughed in plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
you can put the lav there and drain it into the toilet vent but you will probably need to revent it's trap arm due to your proposed length
The shower will need to be vented as well and then all vents should vent through the roof unless you can use autovents.
Did the plumber leave a capped vent in the ceiling joist space?

BTW the lav line probably wye's off the toilet line a feww feet from the toilet stub- not the way you drew it
Agreed. I think the max dirty arm is 5'. So just revent the sink.

Question for Eplumber (or any other master plumber). If the sink did not drain into the toilet vent, would this vent be considered illegal, because it likely comes off the toilet branch horizontally?
psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,614

Roughed in plumbing

This varies by local. As a standard though, all vents must rise vertical to a point 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture. However, since you are under a slab, structural conditions make it impossible so your method of venting is excepted- or so it goes per UPC

Advertisement