Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #1

Share |

Roughed in Bathroom Question

Hi, I've got an unfinished bathroom that has piping which has been roughed in. I've never done any type of plumbing in my life so I don't really know what I am doing (my wife is ticked!), which is why I am seeking help here.

In the attached picture, you should see on the left two capped copper pipes for the sink (there's also one on the right for the toilet). I really don't know the status of these pipes. Do you suppose there is water in them ready to spout out if I cut them? I don't see a valve anywhere that would stop the water if I cut the pipes? Do I even need to cut them - I got to thinking that maybe the fittings that go on the pipes will simply pierce the pipes and allow water through.

Last thing (for now) - there are holes in the floor. I am not sure why they are there. My guess is that the holes were first put there by whomever built the house and then they decided to go through the walls. Any speculation?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!

lassohuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
the Musigician

The caps will be cut off to finish. You have a shut-off valve somewhere to stop water flow while finishing this. I agree with your theory on the holes.

DM
Attached Thumbnails
Roughed in Bathroom Question-4995481085_71d877d98d_z.jpg  

Old 09-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #3

if you fail to find the shut-off valves, you will need to turn off the water main valve and drain the lines to solder/add shut-off valves to your existing stubs, depending on the type of piping you run to the sink/toilet.

remember, it's not Rocket Science unless you are building Rockets...

any questions, post back here.

Last edited by jlhaslip; 09-16-2010 at 08:13 PM.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
HVAC / Plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassohuey View Post
Hi, I've got an unfinished bathroom that has piping which has been roughed in. I've never done any type of plumbing in my life so I don't really know what I am doing (my wife is ticked!), which is why I am seeking help here.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!

That statment tells me you need a pro
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #5

exterior wall?
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #6

i agree with kenmac. It sounds like you are in way over your head.

but I was try my best to help.
The pipe has been capped by plumber instead of putting in a proper valve so that wall coverings can easily be installed. The cap will allow the water to be turned on to serve other parts of the house while this room is being worked on.

Now that it is ready to be properly finished with a valve, you have to make sure the water is shut off before you remove the cap. If you have access from below the bathroom (ie crawl space or basement), there might be a valve there. If you have no access, then you will have to shut off the main for the entire house and drain the pipes of water. To drain the water, open a faucet at the lowest & highest point and let it run until empty. There will still be residual water in the system though. Now cut off the pipe somewhat close to the wall with a pipe cutter, don't use a saw. You don't need a long protrusion, it was only left that long so you have excess to cut off. Finally install an angle stop, available as compression fit which is diy friendly. THEN you still have a LONG way to go installing fixtures, flooring, tiling, etc.

The pierce pipe valve you're talking about is called a saddle valve. They are only used for refrigerator ice makers. They are garbage.
acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
HVAC / Plumbing

If you are going to tackle this yourself.. Be sure to check B-4 you tie any ficutres in..that hot & cold is plumbed as they should be, drains are connected, etc,. Someone could have plumbed the hot on the cold side & vise versa
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

Do not install the angle stops until after you install the vanity.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Do not install the angle stops until after you install the vanity.
good point. forgot about that. boy, i woulda been fired if I was working as a pro...

exception is if he's got a vanity that doesn't have a full back.

acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote