Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #1

Share |

Rough in valve

Fellas-

Wife bought a shower kit for the downstairs bathroom (new addition) and it was only the trim kit. Been looking all over for the correct rough in valve. The label on the side says its a T14238-RB (delta). The back of the box says multichoice and the side says monitor series. I can find valves that fit this description but it will be a shower only and the only valves I can find have the port out of the bottom which will not be needed. Is it common practice to just cap that bottom off? Please help! I would like to start getting some walls closed up!

TIA

Leroy

lk00331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #2

Rough in valve

That's right, the plug may even be in the box.

lk00331 (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #3

Rough in valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That's right, the plug may even be in the box.
Joe-

As i search, there are quite a few rough in valves that will work. What is the difference between them? Just how they connect im assuming as there are barbbed, male and female threaded options. Is there a preferred method of install or basically whatever you have run to the valve whether it be copper or pex?

Edit: While I am at it I notice some have service stops and some dont. Is this for cartridge repair without shutting down water to the whole house? Is it common to have to repair the cartridge so often that service stops are needed or is it more of a convenience option? Man I ask a lot of questions

Last edited by lk00331; 07-24-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rough in valve

All good questions---service stops are handy to have but not a big need in a home----an apartment building with a shared water system? That's when they are priceless---

What kind of piping are you using---the Delta valve bodies that I am familiar with are sweat(soldered) or male 1/2" thread---
lk00331 (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #5

Rough in valve

Thanks Mike

Here is the one I will be ordering tomorrow http://www.faucet-warehouse.com/Delt...er/r10000-mfws. I'm going to order it through Ferguson because the wife works there and I can get it for a fraction of the cost (not that they are all that expensive).

I have pex run now so this valve should work well. I'll sweat in new fittings and pipe to the drop ear. Thanks all!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rough in valve

Sounds good---remember this--you must install the cartridge right after you install the valve body---if you leave the test plug in you will get 'crossover'--that unwanted thing that mixes your hot and cold water together---
lk00331 (07-24-2013), TheEplumber (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #7

Rough in valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Sounds good---remember this--you must install the cartridge right after you install the valve body---if you leave the test plug in you will get 'crossover'--that unwanted thing that mixes your hot and cold water together---
When the did installing a a valve/faucet become so complicated???? Thanks for the tip as I would have ran into issues without knowing that. Anything else I should consider before installing drywall?

I really do appreciate all the help. I am more than capable of doing most jobs but without guys like you and many others on here that point out the little things DIY'ers like myself would have epic fail after epic fail.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #8

Rough in valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk00331 View Post
When the did installing a a valve/faucet become so complicated???? Thanks for the tip as I would have ran into issues without knowing that. Anything else I should consider before installing drywall?

I really do appreciate all the help. I am more than capable of doing most jobs but without guys like you and many others on here that point out the little things DIY'ers like myself would have epic fail after epic fail.
We like to keep it a little complicated for our self esteem- plumbers need to feel wanted once in awhile

My tricks-
I put a block behind the valve to hold it- between the studs, then loop the pex down along the studs through the floor. This eliminates fittings, which eliminates turbulence.
I also run copper to the shower head- seems to make the drop ell sturdier.
lk00331 (07-25-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #9

Rough in valve

Another question:

So I got this valve in and from what I could tell off the spec sheets online it was all half inch. Went to run half inch pex into the inlet ports and no go. 1/2" pex was too small (couldn't even force it on) and 3/4 inch is too big. I realize 5/8 is an option but aren't all houses run with 1/2 or 3/4? Maybe I'm missing something simple like pex coming with ID or OD? Im not sure what to do at this point. The model number is Delta R1000-MFWS. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Rough in valve-20130726_202330_resized.jpg  
Old 07-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #10

Rough in valve

looks like the pex adapter is for ProPex- which is an expansion method of joining PEX, not the more common crimping method. It is from a manufacturer called Uponor.

The plumbers that visit your wife's employer probably use Uponor Propex, so thats what was on the mind of the counter guy when you asked for a pex valve

And that looks like 1/2"