Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #1

Share |

Rough in plumbing pre test?

I've finished my DWV for my rough in inspection and Im not sure how to test for leaks. I bought these little yellow and white caps that just sort of press into the ends of my ABS. Do I just cap all of them and then pour water into my vent on the roof? Seems like there must be a better way. What do those in the know do? Thanks, 1
1dumbquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Master Plumber

Depending on your local code requirements, and what you are testing and how its set up. Under our code, test tee at the new to old transition plugged and a five foot water column, anywhere in the system. All new piping must be under test. 30 min, on the test.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
plummen (01-20-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
call me E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dumbquestion View Post
I've finished my DWV for my rough in inspection and Im not sure how to test for leaks. I bought these little yellow and white caps that just sort of press into the ends of my ABS. Do I just cap all of them and then pour water into my vent on the roof? Seems like there must be a better way. What do those in the know do? Thanks, 1
Be sure the yellow test caps are glue. Don't just push them in.
My area requires a 10' head of water or 5lbs of air pressure. We opt for air when it's below freezing but water is the way to go- you can see your leak
TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote