Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #1

Share |

Rough plumbing inspection - Shower Drain and Pan?

This (and maybe next) weekend, I'll be finishing up the last bits of work before I call for my "pre-drywall inspection" where they will check rough plumbing, electrical, structural, etc... The next inspection after this one is the Final.

I already had the underground portion of my DWV system inspected and tested prior to the slab going in. Now that we have a building in place and the vents are all run, I know they will want another pressure test on the DWV.

So, couple questions:

1. Do I need to have the shower drain in place for the inspection, or am I good with the stub out and a cap?
2. Assuming I need to have the drain in place, will the inspector want to see a pre-slope mortar bed in place in the shower?
3. What about the toilet flange? Am I good with the stub out, or do I need to have the flange in place?

Thank you.

JeepNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNick View Post

So, couple questions:

1. Do I need to have the shower drain in place for the inspection, or am I good with the stub out and a cap?
2. Assuming I need to have the drain in place, will the inspector want to see a pre-slope mortar bed in place in the shower?
3. What about the toilet flange? Am I good with the stub out, or do I need to have the flange in place?

Thank you.
I think you'll need to ask the inspector, or play dumb when he/she shows up.
I have seen yes or no answers to all your questions.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #3

Getting a reply from my local building department is near impossible unless you go down their and wait in line for 4 hours. And then they get upset that you are bothering them and wasting their time. I actually had one guy yell at me for asking a simple question about breaker requirements on unmodified portions of the house. It was unreal.

Maybe I should just do the stuff, call it good, and hope the inspector doesn't have a cow if I was supposed to wait - though I don't see how the things i mentioned would change the pressure test other than I would have to buy another test plug.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNick View Post
Getting a reply from my local building department is near impossible unless you go down their and wait in line for 4 hours. And then they get upset that you are bothering them and wasting their time. I actually had one guy yell at me for asking a simple question about breaker requirements on unmodified portions of the house. It was unreal.

Maybe I should just do the stuff, call it good, and hope the inspector doesn't have a cow if I was supposed to wait - though I don't see how the things i mentioned would change the pressure test other than I would have to buy another test plug.
Cap the shower without the base and the toilet without the flange, put it on test. If he has an issue, retest or plead your case. If your doing a shower liner, often times they want a separate inspection.
ben's plumbing (02-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #5

yes my thoughts too cap put on test..wait to see what inspector says....look dumb
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
look dumb
I can do that!

The Following User Says Thank You to JeepNick For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-24-2012)