Rough Plumbing In Basement (PIC) - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
GDI

Rewards Points: 10

Rough plumbing in basement (PIC)

I'm just about to start framing my basement bathroom but want to verify what is what first. The house is only two years old and the rough in was done by the original plumber. I'm guessing the large pipe is for the toilet and the plastic incased in concrete is for the shower? What are the two PVC's going down into the floor for? Does it matter what one I use for the sink? thanks in advance.

Advertisement

BrntWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,250

The 2" verticals that are all joined to the 2" horizontal are all vent pipes. There is a possibility that the one about 3ft to the right of the 4" pipe was intended to be used as the sink drain (is it 1 1/2" and the others all 2"). Can you get hold of the plumber and ask him?

The 4" would be for the toilet. I can't make out small dark rectangle very well. Is that a floor drain? If not, there might be a rough in for the shower there. If it is a floor drain there may have been some thought the drain pipe for this could be converted to a shower drain at a later date (it should be 2" for a shower)

The big round black disk with the two 2" pipes looks like a sewage ejector basin into which your basement DWV pipes flow. Could be a sump ump too I guess.

Of course if you're in an area where radon is a concern you'd want to be sure that nothing is a roughed in option for later radon remediation. Those should be labelled but you would want to verify you were actually dealing with a drain line before you used it as one. Otherwise you'd be dumping sewage under your slab.

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
Journeyman Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,000

Dark rectangle in floor is where you will find the drain stub over for the shower, dig it out and you will find the pipe, this is where you will attach the trap to and center it where the drain will be located.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
GDI

Rewards Points: 10

That is an ejector pit, sump is on the other side of basement. Both vertical vents are 2". Yeah I see the capped 2" line inside the black rectangle, I cracked it open to make sure. There are no radon requirements in this area. Can't get ahold of the plumber, unfortunately.

Would either vent be suitable for the sink? I was thinking about coming off the left vent and putting the sink to the left of the toilet so everything isn't crammed on the right side.

Last edited by BrntWS6; 02-26-2008 at 06:38 PM.
BrntWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Journeyman Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,000

Without knowing how the pipes a connected below the slab I can't say.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote