DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

rough plumbing addition

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Billy_Bob 
#1 · (Edited)
rough plumbing question

I'm about to start plumbing my bathroom project. It's an addition off the master bedroom, so all 4 walls are exterior (1 old, 3 new). All walls are over block sill and rim joists. Sink drain and vent are coming in from the new crawl space at 45 degrees, thru a notch in the (now) interior bottom plate. So, the question is: would you do the same with the sink and toilet feed lines, to keep them in the wall? Or would you come up through the floor? I see benefits to both, curious what folks with more experience would do.

Thanks!

#2 ·
For the toilet, it is easier to mop the floor if the water line comes out of the wall.

Then for the sink, many sink cabinets are designed assuming the water and drain pipes come out of the wall. For example I have one which has a drawer in the bottom. That drawer would not work if pipes were coming up through the floor!

A good trick for the sink is to buy the sink, faucet, and cabinet FIRST, then place that against the wall where the pipes will go. And then mark where to place the pipes. Also loosely install the drain and trap on the sink first. Then you will see that the drain in the wall can't go above a certain height and might best go to the left or right of where the drain comes out of the sink.

Some sinks are lower than others. And the sink can be to the left, center, or right. And then drawers or whatever on left or right or both. So that can limit where the pipes can be coming out of the wall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.