Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #1

Share |

Which rough in is for which fixture?

I am finishing my basement and the plumbing for the bathroom was roughed in by the builder but I'm not positive which one is for the toilet and for the shower or sink.. I have some pictures if maybe somone could identify which is which and also how far away should each of them be from the wall. Oh and as for the PVC pipes one says 4" on the cap and the other says 2".. The black one doesn't say
Thanks, Nate
Attached Images

nateyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #2

The 4" one is the toilet, the black one looks it's for a tiled shower pan and the 2" would be for the sink.
But there lay out makes no since. Your missing some walls. No one gave you a layout when you bought the house? Can you call the plumber?
The toilet needs to be 12" from the center of the drain to the finished wall (minus the baseboard)

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
plummen (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #3

Ok thanks.. I'm not sure who the plumber is I bought the house not that long ago but it is about 15 years old..I had kind of planned my remodel around the black one being the toilet and the 4 in being the shower but I took the cap of the black one and measures and the pipe is about 5 1/2 inches.. I'll take a picture of it open and let me know what you think..and like you said the layout does seem wired because it's forcing me to build a awkward shaped bathroom... Thanks again
Attached Images

nateyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #4

the 4 " is for toilet. 12" center from back wall and minimum 15" side wall A.D.A. which is desired is 18". the 2" is for sink it could also be a wet vent for shower depending on how it is plumbed,pipe should come out off wall at around 16 to 18" high for sink. the black looks like a shower flange take off cover and check for trap. i see a pipe in already framed wall i am assuming that is the vent for toilet. so you can tie in to it for sink vent or use a air admittance valve under sink cabinet. this is what it looks like to me remember this is my opinion from what i see. also what does it say on black cover.

Last edited by jaydevries; 01-29-2012 at 03:34 PM.
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #5

Is that a flapper inside the black one? I can't imagine a shower in front of the door- maybe a backwater valve
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #6

A shower would only need a 2" drain but what made me think the black one was the shower even though it looks bigger then 2" is the cut out in the floor around it. Looks like it was boxed in for the pore leaving room to install the trap, then filled in after with concrete.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
A shower would only need a 2" drain but what made me think the black one was the shower even though it looks bigger then 2" is the cut out in the floor around it. Looks like it was boxed in for the pore leaving room to install the trap, then filled in after with concrete.
I see that now- good eye. But I still think its a valve. Maybe it was installed after the floor pour. It lines up with the w.c. too. Wonder what the cap says
Old 01-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #8

some thing else just thought of is to check 2" for trap in floor that could be for shower and sink could be placed on already framed wall with drain armed over to pipe in already framed wall. or may be just plumbed for half bath. it would be easy to turn into full bath though by breaking concrete around 2" and adding trap
Old 01-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #9

backwater valve seems right for black square look at link to compare http://www.plasticoddities.com/bwv.htm
good eye e plumber
Old 01-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
The 4" one is the toilet, the black one looks it's for a tiled shower pan and the 2" would be for the sink.
But there lay out makes no since. Your missing some walls. No one gave you a layout when you bought the house? Can you call the plumber?
The toilet needs to be 12" from the center of the drain to the finished wall (minus the baseboard)
Whats that lonely looking piece of pvc over there inside of wall?
I think the bathroom is roughed in to sit the other way,with sink on outside wall and w.c and shower side by side facing other wall.
I think that backwater valve or whatever it is is supposed to be outside of room
Old 01-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
Whats that lonely looking piece of pvc over there inside of wall?
I think the bathroom is roughed in to sit the other way,with sink on outside wall and w.c and shower side by side facing other wall.
I think that backwater valve or whatever it is is supposed to be outside of room
That's exactly how it looks to me too. It looks like that PVC on the wall also goes up which would make it the vent which obviously would be needed.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #12

That black thing is just weird. I'm not familiar with back water valves so I have to ask if they make a trim ring for it?

It looks to me from the pictures that this was intended to be a half bath. You could always add a line for a shower if you like. Is this a sub floor or a slab on grade house?
russplmb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by russplmb2 View Post
That black thing is just weird. I'm not familiar with back water valves so I have to ask if they make a trim ring for it?
Usually they are installed flush to the floor. I've had to pull carpet to find them. This one appears to be an after thought- looks like saw cuts around it. UPC requires that they are installed on fixtures that are below the elevation of the next downstream manhole of the city main- sewer will overflow the manhole before backing up into the basement. The fixtures upstairs should ideally not on the valve.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #14

so what is the black cover did you find out