Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #1

Share |

Rough in Bathroom

Hello all.

I have a basement project that will involve finishing a bathroom (later the kitchen). I have attached 8 pictures illustrating what all I have to start from.

To encourage the broad range of help from you all, I left my post purposely general but with some specifics. With the help of the attached photos, I would like to know the followings:

1) There are 3 metal bars that look like gound terminals at each of the drains. What are these?
2) I would like to turn the sink drain so I can have the drain pipe come out of the wall rather than the way it is right now. What do you recommend and how would you plumb this?
3) I would like to be able to run washer, kitchen sink, and dishwasher of the basement to the same drain at the bathroom vanity sink. How would I do this?

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Rough in Bathroom-wp_000410-1-.jpg   Rough in Bathroom-wp_000411-1-.jpg   Rough in Bathroom-wp_000412-1-.jpg   Rough in Bathroom-wp_000413-1-.jpg   Rough in Bathroom-wp_000418-1-.jpg  

Rough in Bathroom-wp_000410-2-.jpg  

Last edited by oodssoo; 12-09-2012 at 09:19 PM.
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #2

Rough in Bathroom

those metal pipes look like support stakes to hold piping till concrete....they are too high.....could just cut off....plumbing for tub is wrong no box to hook up tub drain and i don't see tub vent...drain in wall for sink looks wrong also after tub is in...and commode...looks like no room for vanity...imo ben sr

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #3

Rough in Bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodssoo View Post
Hello all.

I have a basement project that will involve finishing a bathroom. I have attached 8 pictures illustrating what all I have to start from.

To encourage the broad range of help from you all, I left my post purposely general but with some specifics. With the help of the attached photos, I would like to know the followings:

1) There are 3 metal bars that look like gound terminals at each of the drains. What are these?They appear to be rebar to hold and mark the pipes. They are not needed. The one at the toilet is problematic
2) I would like to turn the sink drain so I can have the drain pipe come out of the wall rather than the way it is right now. What do you recommend and how would you plumb this?Not sure your intent but the arm for the sink can be turned and pointed down the wall. Simply cut the pipe and use couplings
3) I would like to be able to run washer, kitchen sink, and dishwasher to the same drain at the bathroom vanity sink. How would I do this?I don't see this happening from the floor above

Thank you in advance.
My answers are in bold print
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #4

Rough in Bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
those metal pipes look like support stakes to hold piping till concrete....they are too high.....could just cut off....plumbing for tub is wrong no box to hook up tub drain and i don't see tub vent...drain in wall for sink looks wrong also after tub is in...and commode...looks like no room for vanity...imo ben sr
1) plumbing for tub is wrong no box to hook up tub drain and i don't see tub vent... Thought the tub would just get the ptrap and the vent would simply be the overflow pipe?

2) drain in wall for sink looks wrong also after tub is in...and commode...looks like no room for vanity... That's why, for the vanity, I would like to turn the drain pipe to run through couple of the wall studs and then out at the back of the vanity. In doing this, I then will have room. (see new photo with yellow lines)

Last edited by oodssoo; 12-09-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #5

Rough in Bathroom

There just is no "standard" location for a tub drain. Set in concrete like that there's 0 adjustment and no access to line up the drain.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #6

Rough in Bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
There just is no "standard" location for a tub drain. Set in concrete like that there's 0 adjustment and no access to line up the drain.
joecaption,

I have added a photo with yellow lines to indicate the location and layout of the bathroom that I thought would work best.

But you are right... it's a pain in the butt that the tub drain is burried in the concrete! Why don't they just leave a cut-out so us DIYers don't have to chip the concrete just to install a stinkin' ptrap?! OR if they could have just installed a ptrap to begin with?!

But I must ask those that could help me with suggestion to chime in... I don't mean to get carried away for a moment...
Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #7

Rough in Bathroom

Quote:
joecaption,

I have added a photo with yellow lines to indicate the location and layout of the bathroom that I thought would work best.

But you are right... it's a pain in the butt that the tub drain is burried in the concrete! Why don't they just leave a cut-out so us DIYers don't have to chip the concrete just to install a stinkin' ptrap?! OR if they could have just installed a ptrap to begin with?!

But I must ask those that could help me with suggestion to chime in... I don't mean to get carried away for a moment...
get out your tape again..if tub is there what about commode measure from back wall out 25-28 inches...tub is 30" ...how wide is room..thats the space you will have between front of commode and tub....ben sr
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #8

Rough in Bathroom

Based on the location, I thought that was a shower trap- not a tub. What size is the pipe? If it's 2" then make it a corner shower- unless your set on installing a tub
Old 12-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #9

Rough in Bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
get out your tape again..if tub is there what about commode measure from back wall out 25-28 inches...tub is 30" ...how wide is room..thats the space you will have between front of commode and tub....ben sr

It's going to be about 6'6" by 8'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Based on the location, I thought that was a shower trap- not a tub. What size is the pipe? If it's 2" then make it a corner shower- unless your set on installing a tub
It's a 2". Why are you suggesting a corner shower? Is it because of the 2"? Please elaborate.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #10

Rough in Bathroom

Quote:
It's going to be about 6'6" by 8'.

It's a 2". Why are you suggesting a corner shower? Is it because of the 2"? Please elaborate.
Tubs use a minimum 1.5" drain and trap. Also they tend to be roughed in with a box as you alluded to and also closer to the wall. A 36"x36" shower needs a 2" drain centered 18" off each wall- similar to yours. You can use a fiberglass unit or build your tile unit. As it is now, you've got a fair amount of concrete to remove- doable but a shower would be my choice
Old 12-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #11

Rough in Bathroom

Quote:
Tubs use a minimum 1.5" drain and trap. Also they tend to be roughed in with a box as you alluded to and also closer to the wall. A 36"x36" shower needs a 2" drain centered 18" off each wall- similar to yours. You can use a fiberglass unit or build your tile unit. As it is now, you've got a fair amount of concrete to remove- doable but a shower would be my choice
I see. Your logic is based on the location and the size of the pipe... Regardless, it seems to be that either way would still be doable.

A tub serves both purposes - shower or relaxing bath.

I guess it would be a small challenge, but a reducer would take care of the 2" pipe vs. 1.5" pipe, right?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #12

Rough in Bathroom

Quote:
I see. Your logic is based on the location and the size of the pipe... Regardless, it seems to be that either way would still be doable.

A tub serves both purposes - shower or relaxing bath.

I guess it would be a small challenge, but a reducer would take care of the 2" pipe vs. 1.5" pipe, right?
Correct. you'll end up with something like this image. Notice the relationship to the end wall. I would use a 2" trap- reduce the top of it to 1.5" to receive the tub waste & overflow assembly. The image also shows a vent serving the tub- You don't have one but which concerns me a little. It must be vented somehow in order to pass the original inspection
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #13

Rough in Bathroom

Quote:
Correct. you'll end up with something like this image. Notice the relationship to the end wall. I would use a 2" trap- reduce the top of it to 1.5" to receive the tub waste & overflow assembly. The image also shows a vent serving the tub- You don't have one but which concerns me a little. It must be vented somehow in order to pass the original inspection
Are you suggesting there should be two vent pipes - one for lav and one for tub? There is already one, I know, over the lav drain.

???
Old 12-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #14

Rough in Bathroom

Quote:
Are you suggesting there should be two vent pipes - one for lav and one for tub? There is already one, I know, over the lav drain.

???
Sort of. Put 4 plumbers on a pipe lay out and you'll get it done 4 different ways- all will be legal as defined by code.
Most likely, all 3 fixtures are served by the 1 vent, which is not normal in my parts but is done occasionally. Your probably just fine and I'm overly concerned.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
oodssoo (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #15

Rough in Bathroom

Quote:
Sort of. Put 4 plumbers on a pipe lay out and you'll get it done 4 different ways- all will be legal as defined by code.
Most likely, all 3 fixtures are served by the 1 vent, which is not normal in my parts but is done occasionally. Your probably just fine and I'm overly concerned.
Well, my original question was also about the vent for the tub drain... I thought the tub drain vents through its overflow? Isn't that correct?

Also, what's the likelihood that there is already p-trap installed and I just don't know it...? How can I test this theory?

Last edited by oodssoo; 12-10-2012 at 12:02 AM.