Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #1

Share |

Rough in for Basement

I am currently finishing my basement and although I am fairly handy with wood working , electrical this is my first time doing any plumbing.

When I had my house built I had the builder "Rough in" the basement bathroom. I have attached a sketch (In black is what is installed) and I have added what I believe to be correct for the venting of the plumbing.

Any advise would be appreciated. I want to ensure I am doing this right.
Attached Thumbnails
Rough in for Basement-diy-plumbing.jpg  

TBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Rough in for Basement

The 3" c.o by itself is a bit of overkill,did the plumber stub extra vents out of the floor or just a stool rough in/tub /shower rough in and the lav?
normally i would have vented the stool through a wye and run the sink into it and continued up with my vent

plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #3

Rough in for Basement

Tbolt- what code is used in your area? I ask because I have to use 2" to vent a toilet.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Rough in for Basement

Looks like he only has a 1 1/2" future vent rather than a 2"
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #5

Rough in for Basement

It is the Ontario building code. I have it but it is not very specific. I have to complete the sketch in order to get the building permit approved.

I agree that it looks to be overkill but this builder was well regarded. I have a call in to him hopefully he gets back to me before I go to the township. In the past I found them very unhelpful when it come to DIY'ers.
TBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
Master Plumber

Rough in for Basement

I see a couple problems with this lay out, first the clean out is down stream of the WC if by chance you end up with a stoppage just past the the WC but before the wyh that picks up the CO, you would have to pull the toilet to get to the obstruction. another is that dry vents are not legal anymore in some places the one for the bath tub, if its less than ten feet down stream of the toilet thats ok you dont need to re-vent it, it will pull from the vent behind the toilet. the clean out should be behind the toilet stack, but again that vent is dry. vents should be on a wet bend or a wet vent. this helps keep the line clean, dry pipe can collect sludge in time creating foul smells from the vents around the home. depending on the area and size of the bathroom all those fixtures can be vented with one vent. good luck
Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #7

Rough in for Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
I see a couple problems with this lay out, first the clean out is down stream of the WC if by chance you end up with a stoppage just past the the WC but before the wyh that picks up the CO, you would have to pull the toilet to get to the obstruction. another is that dry vents are not legal anymore in some places the one for the bath tub, if its less than ten feet down stream of the toilet thats ok you dont need to re-vent it, it will pull from the vent behind the toilet. the clean out should be behind the toilet stack, but again that vent is dry. vents should be on a wet bend or a wet vent. this helps keep the line clean, dry pipe can collect sludge in time creating foul smells from the vents around the home. depending on the area and size of the bathroom all those fixtures can be vented with one vent. good luck
Do you work with the Ontario code? Because your venting methods are not legal in my state or the 3 states around me.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Master Plumber

Rough in for Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Do work with the Ontario code? Because your venting methods are not legal in my state or the 3 states around me.
which code are you under? help me out here, i have never worked out of the state of Fl, it was my understanding that in 03 we went to the NPC, at a meeting for PHCC in miami some years back they stated that it would be the national code.? after 2003 it was my understanding that the npc would be approved in all state. and would over ride local codes. maybe i misunderstood,, have no clue about the Ontario code. here we have some cities that still use the ipc and upc but the npc over rides them.

Last edited by Javiles; 12-13-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #9

Rough in for Basement

Here in Idaho it's UPC, 03 w/revisions. Washington is the latest UPC, some other states as well. In a fifty mile radius, I have at least 5 variations of the UPC to deal with- city,county and states.
The Idaho state legislature must approve any plumbing code adopted. We recently considered the IPC (Idaho Plumbing Code) A mixture of all codes- glad it didn't pass. I don't know how other States adopt codes, but if I tried to use the npc, I would fail inspections and my boss would prolly fire me Not saying it inferior in any way- It's just not the norm here and I doubt it will be anytime soon.