Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #1

Share |

Rooto Rooter or Plumber

While working on the kitchen drain pipe (galvenized) I found out that the pipe has a huge amount of build up and only about a quater size opening allowing water to get through. Not good. That made me think about my toilet upstairs that is giving me trouble and not flushing well or allowing the bathtub to drain properly.

I'm thinking that there is build up on the pipes like I had with the sink and it's not allowing for anything to get through. Would it be wise to have a plumber come out, replace the galvanized pipe at the wall with PVC or just have RR come out and snake/scrape the pipe?

Thanks.

Weekend Warrior DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #2

Rooto Rooter or Plumber

Plumber

joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #3

Rooto Rooter or Plumber

Im with Joe, call a plumber, he can discuss your options, if hes good he might even have a pipe camera to snake down the line and see whats going on. But remember replacing the pipe will be alot more money than just snaking the line, and a plumber can do both jobs, replacing the pipe or snaking it
zosoplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #4

Rooto Rooter or Plumber

Not to ask a stupid question but why would replacing the pipe cost so much? It's a very short run, less then 20 feet and it's all exposed. I was thinking they'd cut off where the existing galvanized pipe comes out of the wall, put a coupler on it and run new PVC from there on and match up to the vertical pipe. Am I making it out to be too simple?

Either way something has to be done so we'll see, making an appointment this week.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #5

Rooto Rooter or Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Warrior DIY View Post
Not to ask a stupid question but why would replacing the pipe cost so much?
Because you're not doing it yourself and you need them to do it for you! Plumbers and other contractors shell out a lot of money for insurance, licensing, staff, vehicles, taxes, tools, and equipment. Their labor costs are never pure profit, and have to be high enough to warrant doing the job no matter how easy a job it is. It isn't worth their time to come to your home, work for an hour, and only charge for an hour.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #6

Rooto Rooter or Plumber

Hmmm, this is the second question I have seen stating that the toilet plumbing was galvanized. Most sinks have a short galvanized nipple running into the wall to a cast iron drain system. I have never seen galvanized used for a toilet since it should be at least 3" pipe. Where I live, in Arkansas, Roto Rooter employees are required to be licensed Plumbers. I know that is not the case nationwide though. As the "termite" stated, the amount you pay a Plumber is not just labor costs.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #7

Rooto Rooter or Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
Hmmm, this is the second question I have seen stating that the toilet plumbing was galvanized. Most sinks have a short galvanized nipple running into the wall to a cast iron drain system. I have never seen galvanized used for a toilet since it should be at least 3" pipe. Where I live, in Arkansas, Roto Rooter employees are required to be licensed Plumbers. I know that is not the case nationwide though. As the "termite" stated, the amount you pay a Plumber is not just labor costs.
I don't know about when galvanized plumbing came into play and if it's even galvanized to be honest. The one in the basement for the kitchen drain for sure was galvanized. The second floor is your standard 4" sewer pipe. My house is 130+ years old, I have no idea when the bathroom was put in there but it was def. before 50 years ago since I know the owners before me.

I know that replacing pipe can be expensive with all the overhead a fleet service can hold, which is why I'm just having them come out and check it out and give me a price, it's a free estimate so it can't hurt. Last time I checked it was $300 for them to come out, snake and clean the pipes and it's garuntee'd for 6 months.

I'll check with a plumber in the area after that.