Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #1

Share |

Rooter man cracked sewer stack at clean-out; replace with PVC?

My wife and I recently bought a house that had been winterized for nearly 18 months. Knowing that this in no way could have been good for the pipes/drains, I wanted to get the rooter man out sooner rather than later, as both bathroom sink and shower were draining slowly. I had him do those drains as well as the sewer drain.

In snaking the sewer drain out to the main, he broke the heavily rusted cast iron at the clean-out, ultimately turning the clean-out into a sizable hole in the pipe. As the house is a single story ranch, without two floors of cast iron weighing on this section, I'm considering replacing with PVC, directly below the bathroom sink and shower drain connection, all the way down to the floor. I'm guessing I would need to first place a riser clamp at the base, to make sure the remaining CI doesn't sag, and make sure existing CI above patch is properly supported. My plan would be to then insert 4" PVC using no-hub couplings at both ends, making sure to duplicate the clean-out location to ensure alignment with building codes.

A couple of questions/concerns I have:
- Because the hole was created off of the the clean-out, it is only about 6" out of the concrete floor (see attached image for better reference). I would very much like to not have to cut up the floor. How much cast iron do I need to appropriately attach the no-hub coupling at the bottom?
- Also because the hole is relatively close to the floor, what is the best method for getting a clean cut with minimal risk of cracking pipe further down into ground? I'm hesitant to use chain cutters as they rely on force and may increase chances of extending damage below ground
- As I do not plan to replace all CI connections branching off of stack into first floor, which are all in good shape, what is the best method to ensure existing CI is properly supported, and not bearing down on new PVC, increasing chances of cracks?

Please advise of any tips, tricks or things I should be cognizant of before diving in.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Rooter man cracked sewer stack at clean-out; replace with PVC?-imag0536.jpg   Rooter man cracked sewer stack at clean-out; replace with PVC?-imag0541.jpg  

lgibbs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #2

Sue the contractor who broke it. Then with the money you receive hire a reputable contractor or do it your self by supporting the CI with riser clamps so it won't move when cut.. It 's heavy make sure you double riser clamp it.

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
DIY staff

That's doable---There is a chain breaker available to rent that will snap that pipe nicely---

Like ColdIron suggested--Be sure to secure the pipe over head---Snap that out in manageable sized chunks.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #4

hi Like coldiron said support over head cast iron good...what we do is cut cast iron with cast blade on sawzall cut as close to bottom of c.o tee use a fernco cuppling install new clean out and connect back to your stack....ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cast iron drains, sewer, sewer drain leak?, sewer vents