Rookie Disconnecting Kitchen Plumbing - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2008, 11:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rookie disconnecting kitchen plumbing

Hi all,
I need to disconnect everything under the kitchen sink since we're putting in granite countertops and a new sink installed from underneath.
Are there any tips ? For example, should the drain for the sink be disconnected up where it attaches to the old sink, or down around where the trap is ? And should the drain for the disposal be disconnected where it goes into the disposal or back closer to the trap ?
I'm assuming I won't get lucky and the new sink drain and disposal won't be exactly at the same levels the old ones were and I'll have to do some plumbing anyway, so I assume eventually I'll get to the point where I'm disconnecting at the traps anyway, right ?
Everything else looks pretty intuitive- disconnecting the faucet lines at the shutoff valves, etc.
And I have a reverse osmosis under sink water treater. Is there anything special you do to them ? It looks like I might only have to disconnect the hose at the treated water spigot on the sink. When I reconnect everything, is there anything you have to do to get the unit working again like recharging it or whatever ?
Any and all pointers and tricks will be greatfully accepted.

Bob

Advertisement

bcarwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

You answered all your questions in your post. There are no short cuts and yes, the new sink will most likely be off from the original. Take as much apart as needed at first and take more apart as needed later after new sink is in place.

You want to mount your faucet, drains, and any other doo dads on the sink if possible if you have that option before the sink is mounted.

Advertisement

dyier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sounds like you have a handle on the situation. I would completely remove the disposal to help with demolition (why have any more weight than needed). Make sure to plug the drain pipe if you don't leave the trap (with water in it) on the drainline.