Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
pxr

Rewards Points: 10

RO filter plumbing Loop below sink - Water Leakage

Recently I moved to new 2nd floor apartment and I am trying to install my Watts WP-4V RO filter under the sink.
As a part of the installation ( http://www.cleanmywater.com/dmdocume...93_(WP-4v).pdf
Page 7 - step 12 ) I installed the adaptive valve between cold water supply and the cold water connection to the
kitchen sink. Unlike my old apartment, the line between the cold water supply to the kitchen sink is hard copper pipe.
Due to this when I got some flexible plumbing pipe and made the connection
( cold water supply pipe -> adaptive valve -> new flexible plumbing pipe -> hard copper pipe -> kithen sink)
became a loop . After couple of days , apartment guys complained of water leakage in the bottom floor apartment ceiling, though there is not much leakage below my sink.
I was wondering what is the solution for this
issue. I am not sure how water can leak in some other place in pipes which contributed for the wetting of the bottom apartment ceiling.
Any ideas of possible cause or suggestions to fix this problem.

pxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,450

I think you can eliminate some of your connections. Can you give us a picture of what you've done?
Your RO valve should go on the existing stop just like the picture shows. Then you can run a new 3/8x1/2 flex to your faucet.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
pxr

I don't have the picture as maintenance guy dismantled it. yes, I connected the valve over the stop.
I was hesitant to disturb the existing sink faucet connections and I thought I can insert the valve with out touching the sink faucet connections. Probably I need to touch them. thank you for the idea.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,152

Why do you even think you need a R/O?
A simple activated charcoal filter attacted to the faucet will clean up the water great.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
pxr

Joecaption,
Due to some health reasons, I prefer to take water as much filtered as possible .

theEplumber,

I thought of making direct connection to the Sink from adaptive valve, but found there is no threads to do it at the sink end( unless I completely disassemble) . I am attaching 2 photo's that are requested.

1. After inserting the adaptive valve in the cold water pipe this is how pipe looks like (Loop)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8713300...in/photostream
2. Below the sink picture, green color is the copper cold water pipe. there is no thread to directly connect. probably I have to remove all the sink to make this connection. Which is not worth it for me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8713300...in/photostream

one idea that comes to mind is connecting to the adapter valve to faucet on the top of the sink counter.
Appreciate any suggestions.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

The adapter valve to the faucet with that little knob you pull. Best way. Where are you located? What is in your water?
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
pxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
The adapter valve to the faucet with that little knob you pull. Best way. Where are you located? What is in your water?
I am in NJ. there are lot of reports of water contaminants including presription drugs, flouride, other metals in water supply. I feel much better with filtered water than tap water.