Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #1

Share |

Rheem water heater gas valve issue

I have a Rheem 40 gallon powervent gas water heater (model# 21VP40E-1). This morning we had no hot water. The powervent fan runs. About every 5 minutes or so, the igniter clicks a bunch, and has a good flame by the burner plate, but the burner plate will not ignite, and after about a minute, the pilot flame goes out. It will go through this cycle a few times, and then suddenly after several tries, the burner plate finally ignites, and heats the water. When the burner plate ignites successfully, I can hear the gas control valve "click" and then the burner plate will ignite. When the burner plate fails to ignite, I don't hear the gas valve click.

I talked to a guy at a water heater parts store, and he said he is 80% sure it's the gas control valve. I'm thinking of just buying it and taking the chance that's the issue. The price is $135.

My question is, how hard is this replace? It looks like it's 3 gas fittings (main line, burner tube, and igniter tube. I'm assuming I just need to put thread sealer (tape) on all of the fittings. Besides that, is it just a couple mounting bolts?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Troy

tsherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #2

Sounds like a bad or dirty flame sensor rod to me. use a dollar bill and clean the white stuff off of it.

plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #3

I agree with plumber Jim. Then flame sensor usually looks like this or . Ash residue on the tip insulates it so it doesn't heat up like it should. Clean the sensor and try again. Replacing the gas valve should be done by a pro to make sure there is no leaks and to make the proper adjustments.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:51 AM   #4

Don't mess with gas!!! let a pro do it.
al's sewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #5

You guys were right, the problem was the sensor was dirty. I removed the burner, cleaned everything up and it all works fine! Thanks for the help!
tsherv is offline   Reply With Quote