Rheem Gas Water Heater 42vp50f - Pls Help - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rheem Gas Water Heater 42vp50f - Pls Help

First time posting here, I have a 5 y/o Rheem 42VP50F Powervent gas water heater that won't stay on for longer than 1 hour or so. I can reset using what the Rheem customer service told me so I turn off the fan at the top of the unit for about 10 seconds, turn it back on, and then turn the hot water - vacation selector knob back and forth from hot to vacation where you here the unit start and stop, you roll the knob back and forth 3 times and then the unit sparks up and I can see a very nice flame. So the unit works as far as that goes but then it seems to die out when hot water is needed later. Meaning I have to restart it in this way every time I want hot water.

The error code is 2 green lights, a 1 second pause, and then 1 light, and another 1-2 second pause before repeating. This means it is an ignition failure after 2-3 times and locks out.

I had one plumber come by, charge $350 to clean it and it didn't fix the problem. Now I had Roto Rooter come by and the guy thinks its the gas valve and it would run about $600 to fix. I am thinking of trying to fix this myself but I'm sort of surprised that it's not a more definitive diagnostic from these pros. Any thoughts here and is it a DIY project? I am not good with wood work, painting, etc. but this is out of my area of familiarity but I'm willing to try to avoid going back and forth on this.

Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement

Dizzy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Rheem Gas Water Heater 42vp50f - Pls Help

Have you checked your exhaust ducts? If there is any obstruction in the exhaust duct the water heater will shut down if there is not sufficient airflow. I have experienced a bird falling down an exhaust pipe before causing similar issues.

Also, you water heater should still be under warranty. You can file a claim on www.rheem.com. Depending on your location they may decide to deploy a service technician. These guys are factory trained and know what they are doing. If it is a product defect Rheem will pick up the cost. If it is something else you need to pay the technician.

Advertisement

wassermeister is offline   Reply With Quote