Rheem Direct Vent Installation Problem. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
water flows downhill

Rewards Points: 25
Thumbs down

Rheem direct vent installation problem.

I was going to hang the 180000 btu Rheem thankless water heater on the basement wall when I found out that the standard horizontal vent kit is too short for the installation. It is a 3/5" stainless steel 3 piece kit sells for $ 200 or so. 3" is the diameter of the inside pipe blowing out the hot exhaust gas, 5" is the outer jacket sucking in the cool fresh combustion air. 3 pieces: 1.) adapter to heater unit; 2.) elbow; 3.) horizontal pipe to the outside.
That horizontal pipe going to the outside is about 2- 3" too short.
I am surprised that I did not see more installers complaining about this poor design. I had bad luck with trying to get answers form the suppliers.
Finally got a part # from Rheem: Supposedly there is a 6" extension piece that will work. It will make the pipe stick out an extra 3-4" on the outside wall.( yuk) I will post the results when the parts are received.(if even the right parts). I found the suppliers extremely ignorant about this "length problem". I think the manufacturer of the vent pipe and Rheem as well have no clue about the US standard construction parameters such as 12" block foundation etc.
Did anyone else had similar trouble? I've searched and not found.

Advertisement

oarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

I guess you could chip out 2-3 " of your basement wall in the shape of your water heater to get it to fit.

Sorry, that just seems strange to me as well. There's no way to shorten the 6" extension?

Alternatively, you could 'fur out' the water heater so that your 6" extension would be dead on.

Maybe with a 2x4 wall and sheetrock the 6" extension would be perfect?

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
water flows downhill

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

I guess you could chip out 2-3 " of your basement wall in the shape of your water heater to get it to fit.

Sorry, that just seems strange to me as well. There's no way to shorten the 6" extension?

Alternatively, you could 'fur out' the water heater so that your 6" extension would be dead on.

Maybe with a 2x4 wall and sheetrock the 6" extension would be perfect?

Good idea, LOL chipping out the wall...
Actually it is OK for the extra sticking out with me and with the installation code as well. I will be pleasantly surprised if the 6" extension would be the right fit. I will probably have to send it back and eat the restocking fee + mail.
oarfish is offline   Reply With Quote