Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #1

Share |

retrofiting shower control

I have a stall shower with a two faucet control for hot and cold water installed in the 1950's. I now have a new furnace with a hot water coil within the boiler resulting in very hot water at the shower. I would like advice on what to buy to install a single lever control which also has a temperature regulating/pressure regulating feature, so that once set the shower water will come out at a safe temperature regardless of the temperature of the hot water being fed into it. I realize I will need to do some tile reworking which I can handle.

fraz1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
Whatamess

If you have access to the line feeding the hot water side install a mixing valve. It mixes cold water with the hot tp prevent your problem.
http://www.pexsupply.com/CategoryPre...D=322&brandid=

Old 09-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
the Musigician

i installed a 'scaldguard' faucet, liked it so much, i removed it and reinstalled it in our new home when we moved. made sense since they are a bit pricey.
you may have to retrofit......

DM

Last edited by DangerMouse; 09-08-2008 at 11:17 AM.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
DIY Junkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz1924 View Post
I I would like advice on what to buy to install a single lever control which also has a temperature regulating/pressure regulating feature, so that once set the shower water will come out at a safe temperature regardless of the temperature of the hot water being fed into it.
This interests me, too, b/c of a plumbing upgrade that I will undertake next summer at a vacation home. Essentially, I'll be replacing all the old, corroded galvanized water supply pipes with PEX-type products and this would be a great time to upgrade that existing 40-year old single-lever shower control.

I've heard of pressure equalizing shower controls that help eliminate scalding/chilling when someone else in the house turns on the water and the valve can't keep up (I'm guessing this is the "Scaldguard" faucet mentioned by MdangermouseM), as well as anti-scalding units that serve to mix cold water with hot water like TazinCR mentioned, but those two seem to serve different purposes.

To make things more complicated, my next energy saving experiment will involve building a passive solar batch-type water preheater to feed my current electric tankless water heater. If this thing works as well as reported the solar heater may generate temperatures as high as 170*, this is way higher than the TWH can achieve and so the TWH probably won't even activate, it will just operate in pass-through mode.

Would one of these "Scaldguard" shower controls serve the purpose, or would the varying hot water temperature I expect the combination of solar batch preheater/electric TWH to yield serve to "fool" the adjustments in the "Scaldguard" type controls?

Or, is it possible that I may need an anti-scald type valve to "stabilize" the varying temperature the solar preheater/TWH will generate as well as a "Scaldguard" type shower control?

Lord, it's so confusing, but I'm learning SO much from this forum, thanks to all who have and are willing to share knowledge.

Dugly
YerDugliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
the Musigician

mine does both. that's why the high price tag. no "toilet shock" here! and no 'too hot' either.

DM

ps, you set the temp upon install, remove knob to adjust, if necessary.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
the Musigician

send me the plans for your solar twh if and when, ok? sounds cool

DM
Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
DIY Junkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdangermouseM View Post
mine does both. that's why the high price tag. no "toilet shock" here! and no 'too hot' either.

DM

ps, you set the temp upon install, remove knob to adjust, if necessary.
Tell me more, DM--does this mean that the temperature of the shower is preset and requires the knob to be removed to vary the temperature, or does the preset function simply limit the maximum temperature? If the shower's temp is preset, that might be OK as long as I'm working on the house and am there alone, but I know the domestic godess and I prefer different shower temperatures, so it probably wouldn't be advisable if "she who must be obeyed" cannot readily adjust the temperature of the shower by simply rotating the shower valve handle . However, as long as the preset can be set for me and my preference for long hot showers and she can adjust the temperature downward, it might be OK.

The high price tag doesn't bother me, I've always invested heavily in quality, never regretted it .

Thanks for this info, I'm hoping to avoid the cost and complexity of plumbing in an anti-scald valve if your device will work for us!

Dugly
Old 09-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
the Musigician

you preset the hot to the highest you can stand it without burning yourself, the rotation goes from cold to hot still, so she (or anyone) can always get the temps they want, yes. and the no toilet shock or pressure loss is great. if i remember it's preset to 110, 115 or so, but it's adjustable, of course, so you can sear the flesh off your back if you wish. but don't get carried away, they ARE made to protect. remember the kiddies take baths too. =o)

DM
Old 09-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
DIY Junkie!!

Quote:
send me the plans for your solar twh if and when, ok? sounds cool

DM
PM sent--check your inbox....

Dugly
Old 09-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
DIY Junkie!!

Quote:
you preset the hot to the highest you can stand it without burning yourself, the rotation goes from cold to hot still, so she (or anyone) can always get the temps they want, yes. and the no toilet shock or pressure loss is great. if i remember it's preset to 110, 115 or so, but it's adjustable, of course, so you can sear the flesh off your back if you wish. but don't get carried away, they ARE made to protect. remember the kiddies take baths too. =o)

DM
This sounds just like what the doctor ordered, thanks!

Dugly
Old 09-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #11
the Musigician

do an image search on google for ideas of what style you might like, there are plenty.

DM
Old 09-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #12
DIY Junkie!!

Quote:
do an image search on google for ideas of what style you might like, there are plenty.

DM
I did so, found out that most of the early "hits" were for cartridges only.

Is it possible that I might be able to fit my current control's body with a pressure equalizing/"Scaldguard" cartridge? If so, that would be even better than having to replace the current control, what with all the plumbing requirements and all.......I'm not at the vacation home right now, won't be heading there for about 10 days, but if it's a possibility, I'm all over it!!

Dugly
Old 09-08-2008, 03:43 PM   #13
the Musigician

google -> scald guard faucet <-then click 'images' at the top, there are many styles shown. showerhead, faucet and spout combos, etc.
as well as inserts.
DM