Resetting My Toilet After Tile Install... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Resetting my toilet after tile install...

I know there are numerous threads covering this topic but maybe my situation is different. So, paying no mind to the toilet flange during my tile installation the flange now sits a little less than 3/8" below the finished tile floor, whereas it was nearly flush with the old lauan and vinyl combo. The flange is screwed directly to the wood sub-floor. The toilet has a "stub" on it, maybe 4" long that would sit inside the flange hole. There was no wax ring around the flange. Can I simply just put the toilet back since the stub on the toilet will sit well inside the flange or do I need to add a wax ring, flange extender, or both, or......?

Also, in case my tile is not perfectly flat and level, are there shims or something of the sort to stabalize the bowl? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

MisterSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 628

#1 Installing tile over any linolium, or any form of 1/4 anything is a sure way to have the tile fail.
The floor should have been checked for level long before the tile went in.
But to ansewer your question yes you need a wax ring, just use on of the double thickness rings.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,484

You can use a repair flange to help bring it up. Otherwise if you are able to get to it from below, you can cut the pipe, then maybe extend with a sleeve or fernco.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,622

I would build the flange up with extensions then use a normal bowl wax- with out the plastic insert since it is on the toilet already. You make it sound like its one of those toilets with a separate plate that mounts on the floor first?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

I have NEVER seen a toilet with a 4 inch stub out on the bottom.

Yes you need a wax seal, preferably an extra thick one, and it goes on the toilet first, then gets set with the bowl. I have seen as many as three wax seals stacked.

Joe is right, How the heck is the floor out that much in a foot or two??? Get it level.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
I have NEVER seen a toilet with a 4 inch stub out on the bottom.

Yes you need a wax seal, preferably an extra thick one, and it goes on the toilet first, then gets set with the bowl. I have seen as many as three wax seals stacked.

Joe is right, How the heck is the floor out that much in a foot or two??? Get it level.
Mmm, not sure what what you mean by floor being out a foot or two....

The Lauan and lino was removed. Trust me it was a joy to get up all the glued down bits of Lauan and maybe a 1000 or so staples...

Here are some pics of what I'm working with....hope this helps. Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Resetting my toilet after tile install...-img_8382.jpg   Resetting my toilet after tile install...-img_8384.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Plumber

Rewards Points: 75

HAHAHA
That 4" on the bottom of the toilet is an old lead flang.
Its stuck to th. just pry it of and your good to goe toilet with the old wax.
Just pry it off and use a new wax ring.
DidIDoThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #8

LEAD like the metal lead??? Home was built in 2007 so no lead plumbing here. I could have totally misunderstood you though. Maybe you mean LEAD as opposed to FOLLOW....?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #9

So does this "stub" stay on the toilet or should I knock it off and just put a flange extender and wax ring on?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidIDoThat View Post
HAHAHA
That 4" on the bottom of the toilet is an old lead flang.
Its stuck to th. just pry it of and your good to goe toilet with the old wax.
Just pry it off and use a new wax ring.
Actually that is a Wax Free Seal. http://menards.com/main/plumbing/rou...851-c-9375.htm
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Beat me to it.

I researched waxless seals a little when I did my installs. I used Saniseal foam gaskets. I chose them because it makes it really easy to pick up and reset the toilet more than once during installation.

http://sanisealgasket.com/whatissani...n-instructions

The Saniseal claims you can use one gasket with flanges up to 3/8" below the finished floor.

Last edited by stephen9666; 01-10-2013 at 03:05 PM.
stephen9666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #12

OK, so if it is waxfree can I just put the toilet back then? Is the seal presumably still good even if the toilet has been removed? Or do I need to replace the seal?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

You should be able to just reseat it. Some come with a "doughnut" ring, to allow for a better seal. I used one, because in the six weeks of doing our bath, i probably had to pull the toliet two to three times a weeek, until we got down to painting, then we just pulled the tank for those couple of times.

I personaly prefer the wax free over the wax rings. You may find that you will have to sit down and wiggle a little, to get it to seat. Then just tug a little and all should be good once you hooke it back up.

But first I would put sown some grout within a 1/2" of the flange, then use silicone caulk to fill in the rest of the space, so te flange can still move a little, but will not allow water penetration under the tile, in case you have a overflow situation.

Last edited by gregzoll; 01-10-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

If you have a backup in the pipe below the toilet, a wax seal is going to withstand some back pressure and the toilet will overflow on top of your tile or lino floor. I thinkyou should take off that extension, and use an extra thick wax seal with a horn. I dont get the cutout at all, as it should be round like the flange, but I dont know what you are trying to accomplish there.

And yes the one you have is Lead, like in 3 lb sheet lead, like in depleted uranium, like in split shot, like in sinkers, like in get the lead out and set that toilet.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 25

Since the home was built in 2007, I can't see any way there's lead in the flange. It appears to be PVC, which is not a surprise.

And, any of the wax-free seals should withhold back pressure like a wax seal, possibly even better than a wax seal, assuming they're installed properly and working properly.

Advertisement

Last edited by stephen9666; 01-10-2013 at 06:28 PM.
stephen9666 is offline   Reply With Quote