Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #1

Share |

Reseal ABS fitting

About 2 years ago I was finishing my basement. In my closet, there is a black APS pipe for the sump that runs up the wall. At the bottom of the floor, there was a fitting that was sweating. At the time I thought it was PVC and not ABS. I could not get the pipe off as the fitting is cemented around into the foundation. I simply put two coats(let the first dry) of PVC cement around it to seal it from the outside. A few months later it was still not leaking, so I drywalled around it and forgot about it. I just had a sump flood and it reminded me of this pipe. When I removed the carpet in the closet, the fitting I sealed around was showing no signs of leakage on the floor where it had originally leaked prior to drywalling. I just want to know if what I did will continue to work or eventually fail since I sealed around it and used the wrong pipe cement.

n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Reseal ABS fitting

I don't really understand... is the fitting sweating or is it leaking?

Normally you don't use cement on the outside of a fitting anyway.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #3

Reseal ABS fitting

This is just too easy to fix correctly.

Using PVC cement on ABS is a no-no. You must use ABS cement. To my knowledge, there is only one cement out there that can be used on both. Additionally, wiping cement on the hub of the fitting where it joins the pipe is a band-aid fix at best. Since the pipe is subject to a certain amount of pressure from the sump pump, the connection needs to be correctly made and glued using pipe cleaner and then cement.

I'd suggest cutting out the fitting and replacing it and a small section of the pipe as necessary.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #4

Reseal ABS fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
This is just too easy to fix correctly.

Using PVC cement on ABS is a no-no. You must use ABS cement. To my knowledge, there is only one cement out there that can be used on both. Additionally, wiping cement on the hub of the fitting where it joins the pipe is a band-aid fix at best. Since the pipe is subject to a certain amount of pressure from the sump pump, the connection needs to be correctly made and glued using pipe cleaner and then cement.

I'd suggest cutting out the fitting and replacing it and a small section of the pipe as necessary.
After reconsideration, when I have some time I will get back in the wall. The only thing is I believe the fitting was really low to the concrete so I'll have to leave as much excess as possible left over so I can actually attempt to install a new fitting on it. What kind of glued type fitting do you recommend for inside a finished wall?
Old 05-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #5

Reseal ABS fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I don't really understand... is the fitting sweating or is it leaking?

Normally you don't use cement on the outside of a fitting anyway.

I say sweating as in a small amount of water "leaking" out from the fitting seal, but not an actual puncture causing a leak, caused by a poorly sealed fitting.