Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

Rerouting stack and water supply for an added beam

In my crawlspace, an old cast iron stack which I've done some work on needs to be rerouted because it is directly in the path of where I will be placing a triple 2x10 beam. Also in the beam's path is the water supply for the toilet on the second floor.

First, for the stack. I think I have an idea of how to jog it across, but I'm not sure if the 2x6 joist cavity gives me enough space to clear the beam after the coupling and the 45 degree bend. Is a 2x6 joist going to give me enough height to fit the coupling in and make the turn before the bottom of the joist, or am I going to have to replace the cast iron with PVC (which would mean openning walls above) (question #1)

And yes, I know that the vent tieing in to the toilet line is a) pointing the wrong way and b) probably unnecessary. Just about everything shown there was done by me in a pinch because of two seperate instances of obstructed sewer pipes which resulted in backflow into the crawlspace, one of which was discovered on the Weds. before Thanksgiving, the other which was discovered the Thursday before Christmas - in other words, both were after hours on the day before a long holiday weekend when waiting to pull a permit would mean having to not use plumbing for 4-5 days.

I'll fix that, I assume for the toilet I should just not bother tieing it into the pipe I have to vent the bathtub? (question #2)

Third question, on the supply line for the second floor toilet. Currently, the copper supply line connects to the galvanized pipes going up with a union. Would it be better to make a CPVC supply going up which is inside the joist cavity going over top of the beam (more difficult) or maybe go an easier route and put in a shutoff valve and another union so I can have an easily removable section that I would put through a hole in the beam when the time comes? (question #3)
Attached Thumbnails
Rerouting stack and water supply for an added beam-plumbing-diagram-show-rerouting.jpg  

WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Rerouting stack and water supply for an added beam

I had a similar situation with range hood vent. Manufacturer specd 8" round hard duct through a joist space that contained DWV, a supply line and Romex! Very tight. I measured everything out and drew up plan, elevation and sectional views and played around with the numbers until I got it to work.

FWIW...

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote