Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #1

Share |

Rerouted Under Sink Drain for Disposer

First post, be kind please.

I'm a first time home buyer and trying to learn as much as I can about home repair and remodeling. That having been said I like learning to do things myself.

My wife wanted a single bowl stainless steel sink rather than our double bowl cast iron sink. So I installed the sink but ran into an issue when hooking up the drain for the sink. The drain pipe stuck our right in the middle of sink, which made it impossible to hook up the disposer. I went with a temporary solution of installing an accordian like drain into the p-trap (see pics 2 + 3). Over this weekend though, I tackled rerouting the draink and intalling the disposer (see pics 5 + 6). Please let me know your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Rerouted Under Sink Drain for Disposer-picture-002.jpg   Rerouted Under Sink Drain for Disposer-picture-003.jpg   Rerouted Under Sink Drain for Disposer-picture-005.jpg   Rerouted Under Sink Drain for Disposer-picture-006.jpg  

gilbo125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #2

Doesn't look like much negative pitch on the horizontal drain line (white pvc section)? Hard to tell from photo. How does it drain?

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Doesn't look like much negative pitch on the horizontal drain line (white pvc section)? Hard to tell from photo. How does it drain?
That white PVC was the old drain. The first two pics are before and the last 2 are after.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #4

Yeah, I got that; the one's with the disposer are new.
Still looks to me that the white 11/2" PVC drain line that goes horizontal from your black trap is fairly level if not pitched towards your trap. If it drains ok, I guess I'd let sleeping dogs lie. If not, might need to help the pitch a bit more.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Yeah, I got that; the one's with the disposer are new.
Still looks to me that the white 11/2" PVC drain line that goes horizontal from your black trap is fairly level if not pitched towards your trap. If it drains ok, I guess I'd let sleeping dogs lie. If not, might need to help the pitch a bit more.
I see what you're saying. That horizontal pipe is actually a painted copper pipe. When i installed the rubber coupling it actually helped to pitch it more. But thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
Owner

Quote:
I see what you're saying. That horizontal pipe is actually a painted copper pipe. When i installed the rubber coupling it actually helped to pitch it more. But thanks for the feedback.
Actually looks like painted ABS to me, but either way I would change it all to eliminate your accordion style thingamajig.

Cut the ABS about 6" behind the 90, Glue on a street 45 and a trap adapter, then install a new PVC P-trap with the appropriate slip nut extension tube coming down from the basket strainer. Hard to tell from your picture if there's enough room for your disposer. Looks like your sink is too deep or the drain is too high to accommodate the disposer.

If your sink is the same depth as in picture 3; do just as I said, only spin the disposer around so that the trap is on left rear side.

(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by LateralConcepts; 01-24-2011 at 08:39 PM.
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote