Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
jxr

Share |

Reposition bathroom drain pipe

I've been going through a full remodel. I've done everything from flooring to electrical. I haven't done any plumbing yet short or replacing the toilet flange and surrounding subfloor.

My question is what do people do when you buy a vanity and the sink location is different. I purchased a two drawer ikea vanity. That being said the drain runs right into the middle support for the cabinets. I'm curious if I'm able to somehow rotate or move it to work. I called Lowes to see if they could point me in the right direction. They told me that its not easy and it would be dissasteriss to attempt it myself. I'm very confident with my ability to learn new skills. He was just a dick and didn't want to help me one bit. Heres a couple shots. The picture of the floating cabinet is actually the vanity. I have two and ones repurposed as an entry table.

Any help is appreciated. I tryed to call my plumber buddy to give me some advice, but he's a no go today.

Thanks ahead of time.
jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #2

cut drywall adjust pipes accordingly to fit new base, patch in drywall, finish drywall or just set base and only see it when door is open
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #3

you can either scribe out the center brace of vanity so the pipe has room to come through and your able to attach the rest of the drain as needed. or cut the sheet rock then the drin and re-rout to where you need. next job "sheet rock" yeah!!!!!
wildrush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
jxr

If I have to cut out a lot of drywall I think I would like to go with a different option. Are sinks supposed to be directly above the drain? Can you not have a pipe at an angle from the sink to the drain?

Could I just run a new drain up the wall from the crawlspace?

Last edited by jxr; 02-22-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #5

do not have to cut a lot of drywall the one i did a few weeks ago just cut a foot square out a lot more work crawling in crawlspace adding new drain then making sure it is vented correctly and then removing other drain
do not understand second ?
and you can put a 45 or 90 on pipe coming out off wall to help sink if that is what you meant on 3 rd ?

if you do choose to cut drywall and not sure what is needed to adjust for new sink take pic of exposed pipes and post and someone will help
Old 02-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #6

and let use know where you want the new drain to be versus where it is now
Old 02-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
jxr

My last reply was terrible, so I'm going to take some time on this one

I want to position the drain on center with the left drawer. I don't think I can modify my vanity to fit because scribing out the center support won't allow the drawers to function.

I'm ready to just cut some drywall and modify the pipe... ...

Unless there is some way I can just put an elbow on the current pipe and run it parallel to the wall and then another elbow out away from the wall?

I believe there is atleast one stud in between the old position in the new position.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
call me E

Do you know where the drain stack is in the wall? I don't install mine lined up to the sink, usually to the stud bay to the left or right. This way my vent will not conflict with the electricians vanity lights or a recessed med. cabinet. You may luck out and find your stack right where you need it. What will you do with the water supplies?
Worse case- open the wall and re-plumb as needed. BTW- my code allows me to put 90's on the trap arm as you propose.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
jxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Do you know where the drain stack is in the wall? I don't install mine lined up to the sink, usually to the stud bay to the left or right. This way my vent will not conflict with the electricians vanity lights or a recessed med. cabinet. You may luck out and find your stack right where you need it.
Never even thought of that. Can I acurately locate the position of the drain from the crawl space in refference to the the wall or do I need to cut a strip of drywall?

Quote:
What will you do with the water supplies?
I was just planning on running a little bit longer hoses for now.

Quote:
Worse case- open the wall and re-plumb as needed. BTW- my code allows me to put 90's on the trap arm as you propose.
So can I do this. (1) Take off the trap and run a elbow parrellel to the wall (this is the get around the supply. (3) Run pvc over to the location and secure it to the wall and install a trap. (4) Run a elbow up to the sink. It sounds crazy to me, but I figured I would ask. I know its not proper to have a gerbal farm full of pvc.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
call me E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxr View Post
Never even thought of that. Can I acurately locate the position of the drain from the crawl space in refference to the the wall or do I need to cut a strip of drywall?
In the crawl- measure from hw pipe to vertical waste pipe. It typically drop straight down the wall.
You could als grap the trap,wriggle it and see if you can tell where it comes from- horizontal or vertical.

Quote:
I was just planning on running a little bit longer hoses for now.
OK. but will the valves hit the cabinet? And will they be accessible?

Quote:
So can I do this. (1) Take off the trap and run a elbow parrellel to the wall (this is the get around the supply. (3) Run pvc over to the location and secure it to the wall and install a trap. (4) Run a elbow up to the sink. It sounds crazy to me, but I figured I would ask. I know its not proper to have a gerbal farm full of pvc.
You're right it is crazy. Better to do the work in the wall, behind the cabinet. My boss would fire me for that kind of work and the inspector would fail it
jaydevries (02-22-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #11
jxr

Is it okay to rotate the trap? I was trying to see if there was anyway that the current piping would work.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #12
DIY staff

Trap must be attached to the tail piece of the sink---never down line from the sink--

In a word---NO---
Old 02-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

How the heck do they expect you to hook that up with drawers in the way?

Is that cabinet actually intended to be used as a vanity?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
jxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
How the heck do they expect you to hook that up with drawers in the way?

Is that cabinet actually intended to be used as a vanity?
Yeah it actually is. It's from Ikea called a godmorgond or something. We got the base cab for 75 so I figured it was worth the work plus it's really the look we wanted.

Anyways it's meant for a really shallow drain. The drawer isn't very deep and it has a box that is much smaller than the face. As long as I can get the trap inside the drawer I can modify the drawer if needed. Also if one of the drawers space is halted that's okay.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
call me E

Quote:
Is it okay to rotate the trap? I was trying to see if there was anyway that the current piping would work.

I didn't realize a drawer was there. I have done something like this for handicap compliance cabinets.
Female end goes to the lav, other end goes to the trap that is turned sideways- against the wall. You may have to custom build one using pvc or abs and glue fittings
Attached Images

jaydevries (02-23-2012), jxr (02-24-2012)