Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #1

Share |

Replacing the whole water pipe system How hard would it be?

Hi all,

I had a hot water line leaked and fixed yesterday. The hot and cold water lines (copper pipes) look old and turned green here and there. I am thinking of replacing the whole system which I do not know how to do it when it goes up to behind the walls, to the faucets or bathtub. Please let me know if the plumber can do the job easily? How hard would it be? I ask this question so that I can talk with a plumber when I call.

I have called a plumber to install a gas line to my new kitchen stove. He said that he would have to drill a hole through the crawlspace wall to get the gas from outside that would take about four hours, and blah, blah, blah… He charged me $420! The gas coming out of the stove was very weak. I went down the crawlspace and noticed that he just connect the gas line from there, going through the floor, and the gas line has kinks at two places, almost 90 degrees! It took him less than 30 minutes! Since then, I do not feel I should trust the service men!

Thank you very much! I feel very happy and lucky to know this forum!

huynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

It just depends on how hard everything is to get to.You may be able to get someone to give you a flat rate. Sometimes, Flat rate is more expensive than time & material on your gas line.. he wasn't a real plumber. He was a so called plumber. I re- piped my FIL house a few months back. He has a tight crawl space. It took the better part of the day to complete & there were 3 of us & he didn't want to use pex. He wanted copper. Guess who did all the sweating in more wasy that 1 ?

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #3

Having just done a lot of research on PEX systems, this is what I've learned:

Suggest getting quotes for copper and PEX systems. The materials for a PEX "trunk & branch" system will cost less than a copper system. The materials for a PEX "home run" system can cost the same or more than a copper system. But the labor for a PEX system should be substantially less than for a copper system. So a PEX system will normally cost less than a copper system.

Guess mileage can vary but this is my understanding to date.
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #4

If you have copper piping you should be good for years.. so what a little green here and there that's patina on the piping.. if you don't have any leaks leave it alone and if you do develop leaks just fix them one at a time.

Did you fix the copper pipes yourself?
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to COLDIRON For This Useful Post:
braindead (10-27-2010), DUDE! (10-27-2010)
Old 10-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #5

>>> and the gas line has kinks at two places, almost 90 degrees<<<

If he ran a flexible appliance gas line that is a no-no hook-up, should be a solid line.
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #6

Thank you very much for all comments and suggestions!

The water lines under the crawlspace can be done, if I try hard. My soldering skill is . I just do not know how to replace the part of the line that is up inside the walls and going up to the faucets or bathtub.

COLDIRON, Yes, I bought things from Home Depot, replaced a piece of the copper pipe using propane torch. I have read the instruction from http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...ge_id=35749917
It looks neat; mine looked ugly, but it worked!

Braindead,
The plumber used solid copper line. He bent it so hard that it kinked twice before reaching the kitchen stove. That must be the reason my stoves work like a candle! It takes so long to cook. I am planning to call the owner or manager of that plumbing business again.

huynh is offline   Reply With Quote