Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replacing water line from street with PEX

1. I am going to replace a leaky 3/4" polybutylene pipe with PEX. Since PEX has thicker walls, the inside diameter of 3/4" PEX looks to be about 5/8", should I use a 1" line. The run is about 150'. I'd prefer to use 3/4 since thats what the copper connections on both ends are. But I'm wondering if it may cause low water pressure when more than one fixture is being used.

2. Should I sheath the PEX in PVC. My ground is clay and somewhat rocky. I read somewhere that surrounding it with sand is the way to go but If I have to do something like that, PVC might be easier and would potentially be a conduit for future replacement if it becomes necessary. Don't know if either is really necessary. Any thoughts?

3. In addition, I wanted to know if anyone has used the sharkbite connectors underground. They are super easy to use and I've used them for the temporary repair. But I'm not sure about long term.

I appreciate any input.

Mike

mfkcbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

you won't increase pressure going from 3/4 to 1''. Would will improve volume. AS far as using shark bite fittings. I don't trust them .so, I won't use them. I have to warranty my work & if they didn't hold the cust. would want me to pay the water bill. I have direct buried alot of pex without any problems to date

Just an FYI. install a tracer wire so, it can be located in the future

Last edited by kenmac; 10-20-2010 at 08:21 PM.
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

- Inner diameter of poly-B and PEX is pretty close to the same. 3/4" should be fine.

- I've seen water services run in a lightweight flexible conduit before. Couldn't hurt, but if you bed your tubing with lots of sand, you should never have a problem.

- I'm pretty sure that they make 200' runs of PEX (I'm sure that they have that length in municipal tubing). If you can get away with running the line without any couplings underground, you'd be better off.
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote