DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing water line for refrigerator

21K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Orchard 
#1 ·
I need some advice. I need to replace the water line that runs from the main water line to the refrigerator. Currently there is a saddle valve tapped into the main cold water line in the utility room. From there a 1/4" copper pipe runs up to the attic, over to the pantry (behind the fridge), then through the wall near the floor to the rear side of the fridge. I believe there is an issue with the saddle valve, so I plan on replacing it with something else. Since I'm replacing the value, I am considering replacing the copper pipe since it's pretty old. My question is this: should I replace with the same size pipe/tubing (1/4") or should I run something with a larger diameter until I get to the kitchen, then downsize to 1/4"?

#3 ·
X2 ditto

The ice maker uses very little water and only once in a while.
It's not like you need a steady flow or large amounts of water to serve the icemaker.

Another thought on this one is the use of a saddle valve. If you are going to replace the copper pipe anyway, install a tee with a cap and have a shutoff before the saddle valve.

This way you can turn off the water to the fridge if you need to. In some places this is becoming the new code.

or this configuration

#6 ·
X2 ditto

The ice maker uses very little water and only once in a while.
It's not like you need a steady flow or large amounts of water to serve the icemaker.

Another thought on this one is the use of a saddle valve. If you are going to replace the copper pipe anyway, install a tee with a cap and have a shutoff before the saddle valve.

This way you can turn off the water to the fridge if you need to. In some places this is becoming the new code.

or this configuration

"Do this you'll be much better off in the long run, do not mess with the copper line it's the proper size and copper never wears out".

#4 ·
If it were me, I'd not run that flimsy 1/4" copper tubing that far up through an attic. I'd run 1/2" to behind the fridge, assuming access is easy, then use an angle stop and a braided supply hose, similar to plumbing a toilet.

I am no plumber, but something about a long run of that flimsy pipe just sounds like a leak waiting to happen. I'd do it for strength and stability, not more water volume.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.