Replacing Toilet W/ Sink? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Replacing Toilet w/ Sink?

We just bought a house that was built in 1952. The house has a mudroom, which has the washer and dryer, the oil-fired boiler, and a toilet; however, it doesn't have a sink. We aren't crazy about having a toilet in there, so we want to remove the toilet and replace it with a deep utility sink for hand washing clothes. How can I remove the toilet and add the sink? Can I use the toilet drain as the sink drain? Can I tap into the water lines from the washer for the sink (does hot water run to a washer)?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Mabrins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabrins View Post
The house has a mudroom, which has the washer and dryer, the oil-fired boiler, and a toilet; however, it doesn't have a sink.
We aren't crazy about having a toilet in there, so...
Leave the toilet be.
Find some other way/space to accommodate the sink.

When will you be replacing the furnace? going to gas?
That will get you some space.

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

We'll probably be removing the oil fired boiler with a natural gas boiler within the next year. The toilet is just kind of "there", and is unusable, and we'd like to get rid of it. Are you saying it's too big of a task to replace it with a sink, or is it no doable?
Mabrins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 508

can be done, not that hard. First problem I see, the toilet will have either a 3" or 4" drain with no p trap.
You will need to convert that to 2" or even 1.5" with a p trap. 1.5 is standard bathroom sink, 2" is kitchen. Bigger is better.
The other issue is the location of the current toilet drain. It will be 12" away from the wall, while you want the sink drain inside or close to the wall.
You just need to crawl under the house and modify the drain to work, add new supply lines for the sink faucet and patch the hole left in the floor from moving the toilet drain.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,222

Since you asked if hot water runs to a washer (of course it does), I suspect you currently lack the knowledge and plumbing skills to do what you want. As funfool said, as plumbing goes this isn't a hard job, but you still have to know how to do it and do it right. I suggest you pick up a couple of plumbing books from a big box store and read up on the subject. That's pretty much how I started out 40 years ago. Though still just a DIYer, I now have the knowledge, skills, and tools to build an entire house, which my wife and I just finished doing almost entirely by ourselves.

Good move on ditching the oil-fired boiler. Our daughter just did that in her house. I don't recall the brand of gas furnace, but it is surprisingly small and is actually mounted on the wall. Be advised, though, that even with the energy-efficiency credits available, the job still cost her $11,000. And that didn't include removing the oil tank.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 05-20-2013 at 08:03 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote