Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
newer than a newbie...

Share |

replacing toilet...basic questions

Hi All.

I am needing to replace our slow flushing toilet, and as per instructions and how to guides, it's a simple 5-6 step process, which assumes every step works as written!

In my case, I shut off the water supply to the toilet and as I flush, the water in the tanks does go away (and doesn't come back), but the water level of the circular bowl comes back, and to the same height as it was when the supply was on. Where is this water coming from if the water supply is supposedly off?

I did notice that after I left this project overnight (with the water supply off), the toilet tank had slowly re-filled to the height you would normally see if the water supply was set to on. So, this indicates a leak somewhere.

I am considering shutting off the water for the house, and trying this, but I have a wife and kids so, it's rare that they are out of the house when I'm there.

I would sponge down the remaining water in the toilet bowl, but it's not a trace amount...it's several cups worth. How should I go about getting this water out?

Any suggestions as to the right approach for this?

mcvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #2

So with the supply valve to the toilet shut off the tank filled up? That would mean the valve isn't seating all the way and needs to be replaced. You can shut the main water off and replace this valve, shouldn't take that long. And then you can leave the toilet valve off and turn the main back on to replace the toilet. There is a trap built into the toilet and that water will stay in the bottom of the bowl even when you flush it. It's meant to stay in there so the sewer gases don't come out into your house. You can sponge most of it out before you remove the toilet.

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvane View Post
Hi All.

I am needing to replace our slow flushing toilet, and as per instructions and how to guides, it's a simple 5-6 step process, which assumes every step works as written!

If you are replacing this toilet just because it's slow flushing you may end up with a slow flushing new toilet. What do you mean by slow flushing and did it use to flush better?

In my case, I shut off the water supply to the toilet and as I flush, the water in the tanks does go away (and doesn't come back), but the water level of the circular bowl comes back, and to the same height as it was when the supply was on. Where is this water coming from if the water supply is supposedly off?

It's the water from the tank. The water from the tank discharges into the bowl which pushes the bowl level high enough to siphon through the trap into the sewer pipe. Once the siphon sucks the nowl water level to below the trap it loses suction and allows the bowl to refill. The tank discharges slow enough that it is still flowing after the siphon is lost and so refills the bowl

I did notice that after I left this project overnight (with the water supply off), the toilet tank had slowly re-filled to the height you would normally see if the water supply was set to on. So, this indicates a leak somewhere.

Yes your shut off valve is not completely closing and is leaking slowly.

I am considering shutting off the water for the house, and trying this, but I have a wife and kids so, it's rare that they are out of the house when I'm there.

Shut the main water off just long enough to replace the shut off (supply) valve at the toilet. Then you can turn the water back on and use the supply valve to shut off water while you replace the toilet. Supply valves are usually compression fittings. It may not be technically right but I've found that you can usually get by without cutting off the old compression ring and nut and just replace the body which makes replacement very fast.

I would sponge down the remaining water in the toilet bowl, but it's not a trace amount...it's several cups worth. How should I go about getting this water out?

Yes it's several cups worth. Some folks have been known to use a wet/dry shop vac and suck most of the water out. A sponge works ok.

Any suggestions as to the right approach for this?
Good Luck
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:43 PM   #4

Shop vac works great for clean water, just dump it out. Also slide a boot tray into the bathroom and rest the old toilet on it. If it drips it's contained. Helps to keep the feet dry.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #5

"Slow flushing" is a confusing term and it could be that it is the waste pipe and not the toilet that is at fault. Before removing the old toilet, do some investigating. With the tank lid off, flush and see if the flapper stays up until almost all the water is gone from the tank If not, an adjustment to the chain/strap that lifts it can be made. The chain should only have enough slack to allow the flapper to seal. Take a mirror and look up under the rim of the bowl while flushing. This will tell you if all the holes are open or may be clogged with mineral deposits. A wire coat hanger works well for unclogging. Next, test the drain piping. Pour a 5 gallon bucket of water into the bowl quickly. The bowl, should be able to take all the water with no problem. If it starts backing up, you either have a clog in the bowl trap or the piping. A Closet Auger can be purchased or rented to unclog the bowl. After that, it is reasonable to assume it is the pipe. A wet/dry vacuum works well for removing the water from the bowl if you need to lift the toilet.