Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #1
Newbie DIYer

Share |

Replacing a Toilet

Hello!

We are replacing the toilet in our bathroom and I have a few questions.

1. When pulling out the old toilet (seems to us that it was the original toilet to the house which was built in the 70's) the flange seems to me that it is kind of twisted, for lack of a better word. It doesnot seem to be broken at all, but when putting the screws in to hold the toilet down, to put them in correctly the toilet would be turned toward the shower. Is there a way to fix the flange without having to replace it?

2. When taking the old rusted screws out of the flange there was a washer under the flange. Is that something that I need to make sure to do?

3. In your experience, is there anything that we need to be aware of to make this a smoother process?

I am hopping to get it put in tomorrow after DH gets off of work. Right now there is a rag stuffed in to prevent any sewage gasses from coming in to the house.

Thanks in advance!!!

dandgluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
Journeyman Plumber

Replacing a Toilet

Questions, is this a plastic flange?

What height does the top of the flange set from the floor, just above, below or level?

Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:17 PM   #3
Newbie DIYer

Replacing a Toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber
Questions, is this a plastic flange?

What height does the top of the flange set from the floor, just above, below or level?

It is a shiny blue metal flange.

It sits just above the floor.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:15 AM   #4
Journeyman Plumber

Replacing a Toilet

That metal ring on the flange should beable to spin, just use new closet flange toilet bolts, new wax ring, and new supply line when replaing toilet.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:13 AM   #5
Newbie DIYer

Replacing a Toilet

cool! Thanks. I will check on that. There was as screw in the flange, so I am assuming that if it doesn't turn it would probably be ok to take the screw out and turn it.

When we removed the old toilet there was a black rubber plunger looking thing in the sewage drain. It looked like a gasket of some sort. Do I need to have one of those or will the wax ring seal without it?

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate having this site to come to ask questions and not be made to feel like a fool! This chatroom is awesome!
Old 07-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #6

Replacing a Toilet

The black rubber is a gasket that is usually part of the wax ring. Some wax rings have the flange and others do not. I would recommend a wax ring with the black flange - keeps the toilet (wax ring) from leaking and directs the water flow better. The wax ring with the flange is less than $3.

Remove the old black flange before you install the new wax ring with flange.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
Journeyman Plumber

Replacing a Toilet

Some codes do not allow the rings that have the plastic horn in them, here there not allowed, so I use wax only, not saying the horn won't work, just a matter of preference.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:57 PM   #8
Newbie DIYer

Replacing a Toilet

Thank you. I am curious why they would not be allowed. Is there a reason that it would not be beneficial?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #9
Journeyman Plumber

Replacing a Toilet

It is a code thing here, it is believed that the horn itself can become pinched duing the installation process, making it colapes inward, this causing to toilet to get bloced by TP, in reality, I have pulled toilets in the past that have the wax horns on them, and seen this happen.

I set toilets with wax only, using wax only insures me a good clean seal between the bowl and the flange.

This is my opinion and view of it. Use what you feel like using, in Oregon we have some of the most strict codes in the nation, other places will have there own codes, and may not be so strict.