Replacing Sump Pump Pipes - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Replacing sump pump pipes

I have written in the forum about my leaky basement when I asked about using Sani-Tred. Since then I have discovered that one of the pipes under the floor that eventually empties into my sump pump well has broken. The house was built in 1935, and the pipe under the floor is made of clay. I assume there is a good chance there are other breaks along the way so I am planning on jackhammering away the cement on the perimeter of my basement.
I have never done this so I would appreciate knowing how to replace the clay pipe. What materials do I use? Do I put gravel around it? What type of cement should go over it all when I am done? Please give me some details before I start. Thank you to all who help.

Advertisement

Cossack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
...so I am planning on jackhammering away the cement on the perimeter of my basement.

Please give me some details before I start.
The job is mostly dirty sweaty hard bull labor. Have fun.
Here are a coupe of diagrams that tell most of the story:
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing sump pump pipes-interior-french-drain_4_2460520943.jpg  
Attached Images

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 660

Rent a concrete saw to make your cuts, and rent a big electric jack hammer to bust out the pieces.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #4

The walls in this basement are unique in that it used to be a crawl space, but somone dug out a basement and put the poured walls toward the inside of the basement. The true footers are where the crawl space set on the ground. The poured cement basement walls are just standing there. they are solid, but I don't know if this changes how I should do it.

What materilas do I use? Isn't it the PVC pipe with holes? How far do I dig? Do I lay anything down first?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #5

Joe, I was just going to rent a jackhammer to get to the pipe. Is there a reason to use the saw? Once I have access to the pipes can't I just pull up the old ones and put in the new?

I have never worked with concrete like this before.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Joe, I was just going to rent a jackhammer to get to the pipe. Is there a reason to use the saw? Once I have access to the pipes can't I just pull up the old ones and put in the new?

I have never worked with concrete like this before.
the saw will make nice clean cuts to jackhammer away from.

easier to replace the concrete when you have a "wall" to but up to rather than having many chips to try and fix.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,048

A broken perimeter drain pipe does not need repair or replacement unless it has collapsed or become clogged, or the broken ends have become offset with a blockage or an upslope on the way to the pit.

After breaking away the concrete, dig a trench about a foot wide and almost a foot deep along the foundation except do not dig below the bottom of the footing (or bottom of the wall if there is no footing). Add an inch or two of gravel, then lay down some porous cloth such as weed control cloth, about 30 inches wide, then put a little gravel on top of that. Lay the perforated pipe with holes facing down (5 o'clock to 7 o'clock position). Add more gravel inside and outside the cloth and bring the edges of the cloth up and over the pipe. Add more gravel to fill the trench. Put more porous cloth flat over the trench to reduce the amount of slurry or tailings from the new concrete soaking into the gravel in the trench.

You might not be able to get much slope into the drain pipe but the drain pipe must not be reverse sloped. Otherwise you need another sump pump pit at the downhill end of the pipe.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-23-2012 at 07:16 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #8

Alan, thanks for the instructions, but you are saying we may not have to do this at all? The clay pipe we discovered was shattered and it was thus not connected to the rest of the pipes. The area where the pipe was broken had about an inch of water laying in the trench, and it was coming up on to the floor. There was about a quarter inch of water on most of the basement floor which was only enough to get the bottom of my shoes wet, but it still needs to be stopped.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #9

You said it has shattered which means collapsed and therefore it needs repair.

The perforated plastic (or unsealed joint clay) pipes must form a path all the way around the foundation.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-23-2012 at 03:39 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #10

Yes, it is shattered. We could put a sleeve on it I guess, but I have no way of knowing if other pats of the pipe are broken. It is an old house. I was thinking of putting some clean outs to the drain to prevent future problems. When I am done do I just cover the whole thing with standard cement or should I use hydraulic cement?
Old 05-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #11

Also, should I slope the pipe toward the sump pump?
Old 05-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Also, should I slope the pipe toward the sump pump?
Ideally the drain pipe should slope towards the sump pump. Practically, in most cases, there isn't enough vertical space below the floor and above the foundation footings to achieve very much slope.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #13

Should I put a "sock" over the pipe? Do I just use regular cement to cover this?

Advertisement