Replacing Shower Valve - Galvanized Pipe? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,390

Replacing shower valve - galvanized pipe?

I need to replace a tub - shower valve and the arm up to the shower head is threaded galvanized pipe. The acess panel in the back gives me access to work on the valve and the pipe to the tub spout. If I cut off the galvanized I have no way to remove and replace the pipe up to the drop ear elbow. Is there any trick short of demo-ing the wall all the way up to the drop ear?

Advertisement

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Licensed Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 150

RJ,

There is a SLIGHT possibility that you may be able to cut the pipe, get a pipe wrench on it and twist it one way and then the other and work it loose at the top. If you are able to do this you might be able to screw a new drop ear elbow to the backing in the wall. I would be ready to demo the wall because the chances of this working are pretty small if the original plumber did it right. As long as you are ready to cut the wall anyway it can't hurt to try.

Also, even if you have to get in the wall you should be able to just cut a hole right behind the drop ear and not all the way up.

Advertisement

Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Remember 2 things; First you have to unscrew the gooseneck for showerhead and sadly the gotcha! The screws/nails holding the drop ear are in FRONT of where you will be working. they face the gooseneck NOT the back of the wall. What most probably has to be done is open the wall at the drop location enuf to really work in there. If it was meI would just open from diverter up, you will wind up doing it anyway; Next cut out the blocking holding the current elbow. Cut,fit all ur pcs, solder to new elbow,attach elbow to new blocking, attach it where you need to, ( run NEW gooseneck into it just by hand to hold it ), then finish attaching to diverter, re-rock.
If you dont know it already DO NOT SOLDER ANY JOINTS WHILE IN THE DIVERTER!!!!!!!!! Make it all up b4. Since you will need threaded adapter to valve body, solder adapter to a short pc, get it cool, use a SLIP COUPLING to join both pcs. I would use about 6" pc on the adapter.

Last edited by skymaster; 05-08-2008 at 10:32 PM.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote