Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing shower fixture

Interested in replacing my old shower fixture in my main bath. Currently have a 1 handle, knob style, want to replace with two handle. Can I make the swap simply by buying the new fixture and replacing or do I need to alter the pipes at all?

jmorc2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #2

Replacing shower fixture

#1 By doing that your going to reduce the avalible selection of faucets by at least 75%. (we just went though all this, just go in any box store and check out the selections avalible. Everyones switching over to single handle)
#2 What do you plan on doing with that huge hole left in the middle by removing the old fixture?
The plumbing should be close to the same.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #3

Replacing shower fixture

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
#1 By doing that your going to reduce the avalible selection of faucets by at least 75%. (we just went though all this, just go in any box store and check out the selections avalible. Everyones switching over to single handle)
#2 What do you plan on doing with that huge hole left in the middle by removing the old fixture?
The plumbing should be close to the same.
Thanks for the reply. I agree that there are more single handle faucets. My current single handle requires the water to be turned on full blast in order to get hot water. Are there any single handles that will allow me to get hot water without the faucet being fully open?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #4

Replacing shower fixture

Changing the faucet is not going to fix that issue most likly.
It's more to do with the size of the supply line, distance from the heater, lack of insulation on the pipes, temperture the heaters set at.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #5

Replacing shower fixture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorc2003 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I agree that there are more single handle faucets. My current single handle requires the water to be turned on full blast in order to get hot water. Are there any single handles that will allow me to get hot water without the faucet being fully open?
Check Delta's thermostatic valves. They might be what you're after
Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #6

Replacing shower fixture

Sorry, I see where my post was unclear. It's the style of fixture that requires me to open the faucet fully, or nearly full to get hotter water. If there were a separate hot and cold knobs, then I could open each slightly, get a lighter stream of water that is still warm to hot.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #7

Replacing shower fixture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorc2003 View Post
Sorry, I see where my post was unclear. It's the style of fixture that requires me to open the faucet fully, or nearly full to get hotter water. If there were a separate hot and cold knobs, then I could open each slightly, get a lighter stream of water that is still warm to hot.
So you want variable temp control with seperate volume control- see my previous post