Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #1

Share |

Replacing Section of Feed Line When replacing kitchen faucet???

There is some oxidized cooper on the fittings leading to the final section that goes to the facucet.

A plumber said he plans to replace that section of the feed line when he installs the new faucet.

He only want $175 for the whole job including the new faucet.

I'm uncomfortable with him replacing the feed line. I thought he could just clean off the green corrosion at the juncture near the top of the feed line.

He has a good reputation, but I have a feeling he's going to do more than he has to. All for only $175. If you have any experience to guide me, please post it now, he's on his way over.

spyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Let him replace it or DIY.
You never know what weakness is hidden in a pipe, fitting or solder that corrosion is covering, and it is best to replace it while you're working on it rather than making a separate, more expensive, job of it later.
A leak can pop out and do a lot of damage if not detected early.
Good Luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen View Post
Let him replace it or DIY.
You never know what weakness is hidden in a pipe, fitting or solder that corrosion is covering, and it is best to replace it while you're working on it rather than making a separate, more expensive, job of it later.
A leak can pop out and do a lot of damage if not detected early.
Good Luck!
Mike
Thank you for taking the time to answer.

I had a misunderstanding of exactly what he was going to replace. What he did was use flexible hosing (covered in woven stainless steel) from the top of the upper fitting to the new faucet. (I hope that makes sense). The hosing had to be twisted around in a sort of spiral to make it short enough to do the job. It's twisted so tight, it makes me wonder if that was the best way to do it.

The existing fixtures were so old and corroded they came apart when he was removing them.

Good thing I didn't try to use a Delta repair kit. This faucet was 20-25 years old. For a few dollars more we have an new faucet. It works much more smoothly (besides not leaking around the spigot and under the sink).

I think we caught the leaking from under the faucet in time to prevent any serious damage. I should get someone to cut out some AstroTurf to cover the entire area under the sink. There is some 30 year old paper on the bottom, that shows signs of leakage.

As best as I can determine (only one hour later), he did a good job. The fact that he said that he guarantees his work for one year and lives around the corner are good things.

It just occurred to me that he didn't use any Teflon tape around the fittings.

I couldn't think of everthing, but for now this will have to do.

Last edited by spyboy; 03-21-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
Owner

Quote:
He only want $175 for the whole job including the new faucet.
Umm curious what kind of faucet he put in for $175. You can hardly find a good faucet itself for that cheap.. ???

As far as the stainless steel flex supply line, you're much better off that way. They do make shorter one's if that one's too long. They also don't require teflon tape.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #5

I've never been able to find supply lines any shorter than 12", a bit strange he had to twist them to get them to fit in a kitchen sink. As long as there are no kinks, you're be alright.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateralConcepts View Post
Umm curious what kind of faucet he put in for $175. You can hardly find a good faucet itself for that cheap.. ???

As far as the stainless steel flex supply line, you're much better off that way. They do make shorter one's if that one's too long. They also don't require teflon tape.
This is the one:

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-100-WF...4&sr=8-1-fkmr3

Good to know about the teflon tape.

Last edited by spyboy; 03-21-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: addition