Replacing PRV - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing PRV

Hello all!

I have a failed PRV on my home, that was build in '78. Guessing it's original to the house, and since I've owned the house, I've had about 95psi of pressure. Didn't even know I had a PRV until I went digging for the main to install one.

Anywho, upon unearthing the one I have, it looks like I have the water meter, to the house shutoff, to the current PRV in Schedule 80 threaded PVC, then the PRV, then I'm guessing PB (yeah, I know, ugh). Somewhere between that, and the house, it switches to copper (in the house is all copper, and it's copper coming through the foundation into the crawl space).

So, my question is, if I get a PRV that's union on one side, and something like threaded female on the other, do I just get a barbed nipple to connect to the PB, and screw the union end to the schedule 80? Or should I wait until summer, and make this a big project, and replace the PB while I'm doing the PRV? In that case, should I use CPVC (since you seem to only be able to get PEX up to 1/2", and the current PB is 3/4")? How do you connect threaded to CPVC?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a jack of all trades, but this is getting into semi-serious plumbing.

Worst case, I just dig up all the PB main, and hire a plumber to come out and replace it... at least then it would be a much shorter job since they wouldn't have to dig.

Advertisement

staze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing PRV

quick follow up. I don't KNOW that I have PB between the PRV and house. I am just guessing.

The thing that makes me think I DON'T have PB is that there seems to be a hose clamp (the kind you tighten with a screw driver)(aka worm drive clamp) securing the pipe to the PRV.

I am not sure of the color of the pipe yet, as I haven't excavated that far yet, but I will post more when I know more. From the sounds of it, PB is generally blue, or gray, yes?

Advertisement

Last edited by staze; 04-22-2009 at 07:58 PM.
staze is offline   Reply With Quote