Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing pipe over water heater

As you can see in image, hot copper line from water heater connects to a galvanized line with bad electrolysis corrosion (pic is upside down, don't know how to change it)

House inspector suggested I replace with dielectric union but I'd prefer to replace the line with copper throughout. The galvanized line connects to copper at the other branched ends.

2 Questions:

1. I'm considering sharkbite push connections since I don't have experience soldering. Any experience or thoughts on this? I'd be using 2 basic connectors and 2 tree connectors for all the lines.

2. Since the line extends just above the water heater, should I turn it off? How would I do this? Inspector said the tank appears to have been drained multiple times by previous owner and that I shouldn't do it anymore. Would I have to drain it?

Thanks for all your help
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing pipe over water heater-photo.jpg  

Last edited by pisbouts; 05-06-2013 at 01:38 PM.
pisbouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #2

You either heard your inspector wrong or he's wrong-
1. That corrosion is on a dialectic union.
2. You can drain a tank as many times as you want- just turn off the power source first and don't re-energize until its full of water.

Now, for repiping- take a couplr hours and watch some youtube videos on soldering, practice- then have at it. Sharkbites are ok but are not rigid connections- your pipe joints will flop around. Plus they're expensive.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the helpful info. What about PEX? Would that also do just as well as copper? I;ve heard about it but don't have it in the house yet. Any issues with a line running appx 12' in terms of pressure?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #4

I've heard a lot of problems w/ PEX splitting, when used too close to the water heater (on the hot side). It might've been some bad pex, but there were enough bad reports of this that I would just play it safe.

Sharkbites will be fine, if you can properly support the pipe.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Plumber & Gasfitter

Our code says no pex within 18" of HWT connections.
joeplumber85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeplumber85 For This Useful Post:
Alan (05-06-2013), VIPlumber (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Roofmaster

If I was that inspector I would have told you to immediately turn off the pressure to that connection. It is ready to blow out. I would not leave the house until this was fixed. Replace all that crap with L copper. Take the time to learn how to solder.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #7

you need to take the pressure off the tank and vent the hot water faucets from above...connect a hose to the drain cock at the base of the heater ...shut the cold feed and put the gas valve to off..or shut the electric to the elements...drain down till you get no water out of the relief should suck air as it drains out...no water stop draining...leave the relief pin up the hose lines will drain down into the heater...replace everything from the gate valve out...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #8

Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful. One last question. My basement does not have a floor drain. Can I drain the water heater up to the ground floor to drain into the yard? I'm not sure how to avoid sediment returning back down the line. If this is an issue please let me know. Thanks all, again
Old 05-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisbouts View Post
Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful. One last question. My basement does not have a floor drain. Can I drain the water heater up to the ground floor to drain into the yard? I'm not sure how to avoid sediment returning back down the line. If this is an issue please let me know. Thanks all, again
If you turn off the incoming cw to the tank to drain it- putting the hose above the tank to a window won't work- it will be draining by gravity.
If the water is on- then it will work.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #10

But though the tank will flush out it won't drain because I'm constantly adding water to it right? Doesn't it have to be drained somehow before I do the work?