Replacing Old Sink Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Replacing Old Sink Drain

I am replacing an old sink with a new one and in the process, the metal drain pipe just broke apart due to age and deterioration. What do i do to replace this piece of pipe with a PVC catch? Tried using grips to remove the metal piece. Seems to be suck but my guess is there's adhesive or threadlocker etc. under that silver pipe leading to the copper looking coupling. Can you give me any advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing Old Sink Drain-photo14.jpg   Replacing Old Sink Drain-photo15.jpg  


ko0olaidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
CitadelBlue's Avatar
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 105
Rewards Points: 97

I'm about ready to do the same type of replacement in my Dad's 1968 built house. Looks like your chrome P trap is stuck in the brass fitting which may be solder to copper pipe (can't tell because of the wall board - but that's what at Dad's house). You are going to have to get that chrome pipe out of the brass fitting and all it might need is a few shots of WD40 and some turning. It should pop off. HD/Lowes sell the replacement chrome piping.



Because you NEVER have enough room .........
See my Trailer and Hitch Thread
CitadelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 34,424
Rewards Points: 13,978

Just keep wiggling it back and forth to get the tapered plastic seal to come loose to remove it.
I'd replace the whole thing with PVC. It's about a $10.00 or less fix.
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000

Just make sure whatever type PVC or ABS meets code where you are.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,745
Rewards Points: 2,036

Thats a brass trap adaptor with a brass ferrel. Wiggle the chrome part and it will come out. Keep the brass nut and use a plastic ferrel on your new trap.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-22-2013)


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with sink drain and tailpiece nordswe83 Plumbing 5 02-21-2013 11:08 PM
Double Bowl Kitchen Sink Drainage Problem PeteW Plumbing 16 09-05-2011 09:41 AM
Sink won't drain kchopper Plumbing 5 06-07-2009 09:42 PM
Replacing sink drain tube n0c7 Plumbing 7 04-16-2009 07:16 AM
pedestal sink drain stopper not working gernith Plumbing 7 04-18-2008 09:17 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1