DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Replacing Old Sink Drain (

ko0olaidguy 08-22-2013 01:17 PM

Replacing Old Sink Drain
2 Attachment(s)
I am replacing an old sink with a new one and in the process, the metal drain pipe just broke apart due to age and deterioration. What do i do to replace this piece of pipe with a PVC catch? Tried using grips to remove the metal piece. Seems to be suck but my guess is there's adhesive or threadlocker etc. under that silver pipe leading to the copper looking coupling. Can you give me any advice?

CitadelBlue 08-22-2013 02:22 PM

I'm about ready to do the same type of replacement in my Dad's 1968 built house. Looks like your chrome P trap is stuck in the brass fitting which may be solder to copper pipe (can't tell because of the wall board - but that's what at Dad's house). You are going to have to get that chrome pipe out of the brass fitting and all it might need is a few shots of WD40 and some turning. It should pop off. HD/Lowes sell the replacement chrome piping.

joecaption 08-22-2013 05:01 PM

Just keep wiggling it back and forth to get the tapered plastic seal to come loose to remove it.
I'd replace the whole thing with PVC. It's about a $10.00 or less fix.

user1007 08-22-2013 05:08 PM

Just make sure whatever type PVC or ABS meets code where you are.

Ghostmaker 08-22-2013 07:32 PM

Thats a brass trap adaptor with a brass ferrel. Wiggle the chrome part and it will come out. Keep the brass nut and use a plastic ferrel on your new trap.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1