Replacing "guts" Of A Toilet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing "guts" of a toilet

Hey,

I had some water issues a few months back that shot sediment into all of the pipes in my house, which blocked all of the water from flowing into all areas of the pipe. I drained and cleaned all of the pipes out and the water works better then ever. This is except the toilets in my house. I believe the sediment got into the "guts" (for the lack of a better term) of the toilet and needs to be replaced.

Being a new home owner, I was not sure how involved this project would be or should I call on a professional? I am looking for any and all suggestions on how to fix this without buying anything. Thanks everone.

Nick

Advertisement

BBramabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
Oldie but Newbie

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBramabull View Post
Hey,

I had some water issues a few months back that shot sediment into all of the pipes in my house, which blocked all of the water from flowing into all areas of the pipe. I drained and cleaned all of the pipes out and the water works better then ever. This is except the toilets in my house. I believe the sediment got into the "guts" (for the lack of a better term) of the toilet and needs to be replaced.

Being a new home owner, I was not sure how involved this project would be or should I call on a professional? I am looking for any and all suggestions on how to fix this without buying anything. Thanks everone.

Nick
There are really only two working parts...the flap and the valve assembly that controls the water level, and these are readily available in kit form at hardware stores and easy to replace. Both are located in the tank.

Note that there are different styles of valve assemblies, but most of them are interchangeable. Toilets are fairly universal in their design.

What is the nature of the problem with the toilets? If it has to do with the speed at which they refill or the operation of the valves that stop the water when the tank is full, then you have probably guessed correctly.

Advertisement

LookoutRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #3

Yes, that is what the major problem was. I have not done much work with plumbing or toilets, so I didnt want to start this project and get over my head.

I will check this out and let you know how it works out.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Oldie but Newbie

Rewards Points: 75

If you haven't done so already, you might want to consider installing one of these to reduce the chances of sediment build-up in the future.

You can find them at Lowes or Home Depot (etc.) or online. There are several look-alike brands (GE, Culligan, etc.) that use the same replaceable cartridge filters.

http://www.waterfilters.net/culligan...ings/HD950.htm

Last edited by LookoutRanch; 05-01-2009 at 03:20 PM.
LookoutRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Go get a Fluidmaster kit at just about any hardware or big box store. It comes with installation instruction. I just installed one yesterday it took less than a half hour.

Last edited by hayewe farm; 05-01-2009 at 03:35 PM.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Amen on the Fluidmaster, get the GRAY one not brown. Gray is anti siphon, install just the same, real EZ.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Being a plumber, I'd have to say that installing a new Fluidmaster fill valve is one of the easiest DIY projects for a newbie to start off on. Go for it. "You can do it....we can help." Wait...didnt someone say that on TV once?
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #8

Thanks everyone! I am gonna hit the project this weekend. I have both toilets to do. I do have a water filter. The owner before never changed the filter so not only did I have build up but the water pressure was down to almost nothing! I will let you know how smooth it goes.

Thanks again. Now i know where to go for help!

Advertisement