Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

replacing gate with ball

Hey, I want to replace 3 old gate valves under my kitchen sink with 1/4 turn ball valves. Here's what I've got:

Is the supply side of that valve a compression fitting onto say 1/2 ID copper? Could I replace this valve without having to sweat copper (which I've never done)? What kinda fittings do I ask for at the HW store? (I don't want to take the thing off to match it up and then be without water while its off).

Thanks in advance
CWG

sniph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
Water Treatment

replacing gate with ball

If you are good at remembering what you are looking for or have a small digital camera that you can take with you to the store.. then go to the store and look for an angle stop that is the 1/2 compression fitting on one side and 3/8 male thread on the other with a ball type handle.. then when home turn off the water, release the water pressure, place pan and towel under where you are going to change out the fittings, remove the old one, some times you can reuse the pipe side of things, ie the nut, the ring on the copper and place the new fitting in its place, put all back together again and turn on the water. Look for leaks, if none then you are done , put things away and move on to the next task..

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 44

replacing gate with ball

I'm going to assume you have nominal 1/2" supply lines which are 5/8 OD. So you want to ask for 5/8 comp. x 3/8 comp. 1/4 turn straight stops. Cut the risers off right below the existing stops and install the new valves.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #4

replacing gate with ball

Do I always have to cut and ream the copper when replacing a comp fitting? Reason I ask is I am thinking about replacing a couple other bathroom valves that are already pretty snug to the wall and prob not enough copper coming out to cut off.
sniph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #5

replacing gate with ball

it is always good practice to replace the nut and ferrule when changing comp. stops. Some may not leak, but a good percentage will. There is a tool to do it with (http://www.millersrentall.com/equipm...key=FERRULEREM the one i use, quick find w/ google). Sometimes I can get the old one off with a hacksaw or channellocks too
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #6

replacing gate with ball

I've re-used the nut and ferrule. Worked just fine. If there's no extra pipe, seems like the thing to do.
If you got extra, cut and start fresh.
Note: I'm not a plumber

michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote