Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Replacing flapper in old toilet

I have a rental house with an old toilet that was leaking today. I went to fix it and noticed that the washer underneath the bolt that holds the tank to the toilet, was cracked. Attached to the bolt was some sort of flapper extender which attached the flapper to the bottom of the tank, because there is no other place to attach the flapper to. Usually, there is a pipe that the water goes in to fill up the tank and the flapper attaches to that pipe. This toilet has that pipe built right into the tank. I am attaching a picture of the inside of the toilet. I appreciate any help. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing flapper in old toilet-photo.jpg  

joeg679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:15 AM   #2

Fluidmaster makes a standalone flapper the gets glued to the old seat(with their adhesive putty). They work pretty well if you thoroughly clean the old seat, and make sure it is DRY.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 16

Does the flapper extender still work by itself?

You might try re-using the flapper extender but adding new washers above and/or below it to seal the bolt against the flapper extender and seal the flapper extender against the tank bottom.

You really don't want to screw down the tank bolts to the back of the toilet bowl all that tight. Ideally the sequence goes: bolt, rubber washer, *, tank bottom, metal washer, nut, bowl rear, rubber washer, metal washer, nut.

If you don't have the middle nut, you need to crank up the lower nut more tightly to achieve a seal up above.

But the tank must rest directly on the bowl rear, without the middle nut as the load bearing surface holding tank and bowl slightly apart. It may be necessary to purchase a more shallow nut separately for the middle nut or take a nut that came with the bolt kit and sand it to become shallower.

* -- flapper extender has rubber washers on both sides.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-11-2010 at 06:37 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #4

The flapper extender is broken. I can't seem to find one online, I haven't tried a store yet. Would a plumbing supply place have it there or are they usually special order? Also, what is the proper name? Thanks a lot.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #5

This link might help you out:

http://homerepair.about.com/od/plumb...et_flap555.htm

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #6

Thanks guys. I actually found the piece that I need at a plumbing supply place. It was the last one they had.